Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
German to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2009

Morning all,

I've just splashed out on a spanking new laptop and upgraded to Office 2007, so now seems like as good a time as any to take the plunge and upgrade to the new version of Trados.

I've had a look on the Trados website, and there are two options for upgrading from Trados 2007, one at €50 more than the other. The cheaper upgrade is from Trados 2007 Freelance Suite, while the more expensive is just Trados 2007 Freelance.

Now, I'm quite possibly just being dense, but I can't work out which of these I need. I've contacted SDL Trados but they don't appear to be talking to me. Could anyone let me know how I know which is the suite and which is the plain version. I have Synergy, TagEditor, etc. does that mean it's the suite?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the mundane question.

Mary

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Check under your licenses Jun 30, 2009

Hi Mary,

hhmm... in your SDL account under "My licenses" you can see which liceses you own and since the other week there's a practical "upgrade this license" or so link next to each license you own or haven#t upgraded yet.

Giuliana

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 30, 2009

Thanks Giuliana, I shall give it a go!

BenB
Local time: 18:10
Norwegian to English
I would think twice about upgrading Jun 30, 2009

Trados 2009 appears to have a lot of unresolved bugs, including one which is proving fatal to me at the moment. If you do not want to pay for a premium support package, Trados currently provides no support. The knowledge base essentially only covers installation issues, and does not even allow you to report bugs.

I upgraded on account of compatibility issues with Word 2007, but am regretting that I did so.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ben Jun 30, 2009

Interesting! I knew that Trados 2009 was fairly embryonic still, but not that there had been so many issues.

What compatibility issues were you getting with Office 2007 (and, presumably, Trados 2007) - that would be my other alternative. Unfortunately, sticking with my creaky old computer and Office 2003 / Trados 2007 setup doesn't seem a viable option either.

BenB
Norwegian to English
I was using Trados 2006, not 2007 Jun 30, 2009

...hence the compatibility issues with Word 2007. I decided to upgrade straight to Studio 2009, which comes with Trados 2007 anyway. So the compatibility issues shouldn't affect you if you are using Trados 2007, at least for the moment.

I should add, you might want to buy Studio 2009 anyway, in order to make use of the early adopter discounts, hoping that SDL sort out the problems in due course. I just wouldn't buy it for the purpose of using it now. It does have some good features, but they are currently more than outweighed by the instability, bugs and general lack of support.

[Edited at 2009-06-30 12:45 GMT]

Marc Van Gastel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Careful with upgrading from you account Jun 30, 2009

I upgraded yesterday.

Thought I'd open my account and upgrade from there, but the cost there was 230€,while the separate sales page ("upgrade shop"), and sales messages in my inbox indicated an upgrade after discount of 205€. Not one to miss a bargain I inquired. Chat help said I could use the discount, so careful, don't miss the discount, for as long as it still applies.

Regards,

Marc

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ooh, so many pitfalls! Jun 30, 2009

Thanks, Marc, for the heads up.

I saw the €205 price too, and when I go through my account it tells me £165, which sounds about right. So maybe they've fixed that particular bug!icon_wink.gif

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:10
Spanish
+ ...
Trados version Jun 30, 2009

Hi Mary,

You can see which version you're using under About in Workbench. I don't know which version is Trados Freelance 2007, but Trados Freelance 2007 Suite is 8.3.0.863 (Build 863). You can go from there.

About the bugs, there have been some bugs and some people are having multiple problems that are even preventing them from using Studio at all, even though they have a license. I've been one of those rare users with only minor Studio problems (although they're still there), and overall I don't regret upgrading, quite the opposite. I've noticed that my productivity has improved because of Studio, mainly thanks to the Autosuggest feature and the Real Time QA. To me the worst thing about it is the company behind it, but I love the program.

The Tool Kit currently has a 25% off link on all (or some) Studio upgrades and purchases, I don't know what's the policy on posting their links, but if you want it, I can forward it to you.

Claudia

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
You get both 2007 Suite and 2009 Studio Jun 30, 2009

I know exactly where people complaining or fearing bugs are coming from. It does put me off, too.

However, when you buy 2009 Studio, you also get 2007 Suite. You can install them side-by-side on the same machine (or on two separate machines, if you prefer). 2007 Suite has been around for a while and it is much more stable. People don't seem to be reporting much trouble (especially in comparison with bug reports for Studio). Also, Suite is almost identical to 2007 Freelance, so the learning curve is practically flat.

I think it is safe to buy the upgrade and use 2007 Suite for now. Go ahead and install Studio as well - practice in your spare time. By the time the first service pack arrives, you'll have learnt how to use it.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jun 30, 2009

Thanks everybody! I've bitten the bullet and bought the upgrade and am scheduling the installation for tomorrow . Here's hoping the software behaves itself and you lot won't see me here again then!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Good luck Jun 30, 2009

One tiny advice: Don't think! Follow the instructions blindly without any common sense from your part. Jokes aside, from what I've read, many problems have occurred due to a bad installation. Once you've installed everything, you might need to re-start your computer before your license shows up as active.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading to Trados 2009

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search