Trados 2009: Find/replace in multiple files
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2009

I have translated a few dozens of small html files in SDL Trados 2009 and now I want to change some terms.

In SDL Trados 2007, in such cases I would glue the files together and then run find/replace in the master file.

There don't seem to be any such glue function in 2009, and the find/replace only works on a single file or on a translation memory.

How do you folks make changes in multiple files? Through the TM?

Direct link Reply with quote

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
English to Italian
How to glue files Jun 30, 2009

Hello
I am from SDL Trados.
It is possible in SDL Trados Studio to merge files.

You need to use the project wizard.
1) Click on "New Project" either from the home screen or Project view
2) The project wizard starts. Once you have selected the Template, then the name of the project (deadlines if you like), the languages, you will arrive at a screen where you can add the files. You can select individual files or entire folders. Once you have selected the files you want to add, Studio adds them to the project. You should then select the files you want to merge - you see in the upper part of the window, there is an option "Merge files ..." Select this and you will be able to merge files.
3) Continue through the wizard. You can then work on the project / translate / update / create individual target files etc.

They will then operate as one file.

This is an alternative to Glueing functionality of SDL Trados 2007.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use TW Maintenance Jun 30, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:
How do you folks make changes in multiple files? Through the TM?

Yes, for consistency it is much better to make the changes in the TM Using the Maintenance function. For details, read the user guide and search this forum.

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies to Peter/ghislandi Jun 30, 2009

You should then select the files you want to merge - you see in the upper part of the window, there is an option "Merge files ..." Select this and you will be able to merge files.

Yes, that worked. I am very glad you SDL guys are hanging out on this forum!

Peter Linton wrote:
Yes, for consistency it is much better to make the changes in the TM Using the Maintenance function. For details, read the user guide and search this forum.

Are we still speaking Trados 2009 here? I used Maintenance in Trados 2007, but only for TMs that were worth maintaining - i.e. that I reasonably could expect to use on future projects.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trados 2007 Jul 1, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:
Are we still speaking Trados 2009 here?

No, Trados 2007.

C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
and how do I un-merge for delivery Jan 21, 2010

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I am from SDL Trados.

2) The project wizard starts. Once you have selected the Template, then the name of the project (deadlines if you like), the languages, you will arrive at a screen where you can add the files. You can select individual files or entire folders. Once you have selected the files you want to add, Studio adds them to the project. You should then select the files you want to merge - you see in the upper part of the window, there is an option "Merge files ..." Select this and you will be able to merge files.
3) Continue through the wizard. You can then work on the project / translate / update / create individual target files etc.

gislandi (or anyone else), is there a way of splitting the merged file into the individual xliff (like with "unglue files" in 2007), before (or even without) creating the target files ?
I sometimes have to deliver only the Trados files, and some other times, both the bilingual and target.

Can you help ?
Thanks in advance

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
- Jan 21, 2010

is there a way of splitting the merged file into the individual xliff (like with "unglue files" in 2007), before (or even without) creating the target files ?

If by Trados file you mean ttx, using the Finalize option you get the separate ttx files, translated. However, you cannot obtain the "clean" files, as discussed here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155785-studio:_batch_generate_real_target_from_ttx_files.html

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Thanks for the tip! Jan 22, 2010

ghislandi wrote:

Hello
I am from SDL Trados.

Unfortunately, I can't use it on a current project due to the volume--175,000 words (130,000 words more than anything I've done before) divided over 20 files. Even search and replace in the individual files is pressing the limits of my 2-year-old computer.
Willl be resorting to a customer-supplied TagEditor add-in instead on this job, but the merge feature is good to be aware of for normal jobs.

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hmm, that doesn't sound all that much really... Jan 23, 2010

ghislandi wrote:

Joel Earnest wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't use it on a current project due to the volume--175,000 words (130,000 words more than anything I've done before) divided over 20 files. Even search and replace in the individual files is pressing the limits of my 2-year-old computer.
Willl be resorting to a customer-supplied TagEditor add-in instead on this job, but the merge feature is good to be aware of for normal jobs.

... In DVX, my experience is that you could probably have 100 such files or any number up to a 2GB limit, and there would be no significant slowdown.

joycesmg
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
merge ttx files Oct 21, 2011

I tried to merge ttx files (to review) using the project wizard, but when I get to the point of generating (converting to translatable files) the project the wizard says there were 20 errors and it stops analyzing the files and I can´t create the project.

Do you have another possible solution? Maybe is there another way to merge ttx files?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-10-21 13:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: Find/replace in multiple files

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search