Installing different versions of SDL Trados on the same computer (7.0 and 2007 Freelance)
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
Jun 30, 2009

Quoting from the installation guide of SDL Trados 2007 Freelance:

During the upgrade period, you may want to have different versions of the SDL Trados translation solution co-exist on your computer. In this situation, we recommend the following:

In general, you can install SDL Trados 2007 Suite on the same computer as the previous versions (version 7.5 or earlier), provided that each version is installed to a separate folder. The default installation location for each version of the software is different.

Do not use different versions of the software at the same time. For example, close Translator's Workbench 7.x before registering and opening Translator's Workbench 8.x.

Do not run different versions of the same component at the same time. If you are using several tools at once, do not work with mixed versions of the software. For example, if you are translating files in TagEditor, use TagEditor 8.x with Translator's Workbench 8.x. Do not use TagEditor 8.x with Translator's Workbench 7.5 and vice versa.

We recommend that you use the same version of the software to translate files from start to finish. Migrating files from an earlier to a later version of the software when the project has already started may result in data inconsistencies.

When alternating between two different versions, you must register the software you are about to use by executing a special self-registration batch file. The batch file for each version is accessed from the Start menu on your computer.

I wanted to do just that this afternoon. I tried to install SDL Trados 2007 Freelance while keeping the previous version, Trados 7.0 Freelance, build 7.0.0.615, installed on my computer at the same time. Forget it. There’s no way the installer will let me install SDL Trados 2007 Freelance without uninstalling Trados 7 first. It keeps telling me:

“A previous version of this product is already installed on your computer. Please backup any data files that you have created, uninstall the current version, and run the installation program again. Setup will now exit.”

The installation guide says the two versions need to be installed in separate folders. I even renamed the existing TRADOS folder to enable the installer to create a new one. It doesn't work.

I tried to access SDL's Knowledge Base at http://talisma.sdl.com/ in search of help. Every time I click on the link, I get redirected to http://talisma.sdl.com/sessiontimeout.aspx and all I see is a blank page.

I'm not amused, to put it mildly. I've wasted the better part of my afternoon with this xxxx (censored). I suppose it would be asking too much to expect SDL to come up with a solution to this problem, all the more so because I don't have a support agreement. Probably that's why it reads “In general, you can install …” and not just “You can install …” in the installation guide.

Has anyone figured out a workaround to this problem? I’d appreciate any input to this because I’d very much like to keep both versions on my computer – at least for a while.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Another machine Jun 30, 2009

If another physical machine is not an option, a virtual machine may be the answer.

HTH

Antonin

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
From 6.5 to Suite 2007 (Freelance) Jun 30, 2009

No problem here. I wanted to upgrade while keeping my old version (6.5), just in case I had problems with the new one (Suite 2007). Experts I consulted advised me to uninstall first but I consulted the release notes for the Suite and confirmed with SDL what I had read and understood. They agreed that, in my specific case (6.5 to Suite 2007), I would be able to install the new version without unistalling the old one. And I did just that.

Could your problem be related to "version" and "upgrade within version"? Just a thought.

-----------------------
These are the instructions I received to log a case (you must have an account with SDL):
A quick way of logging a support case so that a member of our support team can contact you directly is to follow this process:

MY ACCOUNT
MY SUPPORT
KNOWLEDGE BASE
SOLUTION FINDERS
LICENSING AND INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE
I GET ANOTHER ERROR MESSAGE
Fill out the form with contact details and details of your case.

[Edited at 2009-06-30 17:38 GMT]

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a problem of upgrading within versions Jun 30, 2009

Hi Luisa,

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Could your problem be related to "version" and "upgrade within version"? Just a thought.

No, because the previous version is 7 (build 7.0.0.615), and the new version is 8 (build 8.3.0.863).

These are the instructions I received to log a case (you must have an account with SDL):
A quick way of logging a support case so that a member of our support team can contact you directly is to follow this process:

MY ACCOUNT
MY SUPPORT
KNOWLEDGE BASE
SOLUTION FINDERS
LICENSING AND INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE
I GET ANOTHER ERROR MESSAGE
Fill out the form with contact details and details of your case.

Well, the problem is that I can't even access the knowledge base (as mentioned in my original post). I keep getting redirected to an empty page.

SDL support is a SHAME. I know one thing for certain: I will definitely not buy another Trados upgrade (especially in view of the many problems with 2009 that I've been reading about in this forum).

SDL charges horrendous prices, the installation procedures are a mess, and support is non-existent.

Thanks anyway,
LB

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Do you have an account? Jun 30, 2009

If you do not, create an account. That should take you to the right place. I used to share your vision of support but this last time it seemed to me that they were trying hard to help.

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do have an account Jun 30, 2009

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Do you have an account?

If you do not, create an account. That should take you to the right place. I used to share your vision of support but this last time it seemed to me that they were trying hard to help.

I do have an account. I couldn't have bought Trados without having an account, could I? I've had it for nearly four years, and I was even logged in when trying to access the Knowledge Base.

I'll try again tomorrow but, to be honest, I don't have much hope of success.

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not what SDL promises Jul 1, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

If another physical machine is not an option, a virtual machine may be the answer.

HTH

Antonin

Hi Antonin,

Installing Trados 2007 on a separate physical or virtual machine is certainly an option, but it's not what SDL promises, namely, that "different versions of the SDL Trados translation solution [can] co-exist on your computer" (merely installed in different folders).

Would you invest money in a second computer just to have to different versions of Trados running when SDL promises that you can install and use both side by side on one and the same machine?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a more general answer Jul 1, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Would you invest money in a second computer just to have to different versions of Trados running when SDL promises that you can install and use both side by side on one and the same machine?

I am not telling you that SDL should not keep their promises. As long as you are able to make them do it, go ahead. What I am telling you is the way I would choose, also based on my personal experience with Trados "troubleshooting effort" (or lack of it).

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing different versions of SDL Trados on the same computer (7.0 and 2007 Freelance)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search