International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

An easy way to compare file-based TMs in txt format to find duplicates and/or changed 100%?
Thread poster: kerian
kerian
United States
Local time: 11:56
Jun 30, 2009

Hey,

Does anyone have an easy way to compare file based TMs in txt format to find duplicates and/or changed 100%? The files are pretty big so word comparison seems out.

Best regards,
Keri

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-30 17:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
An attempt at an answer Jun 30, 2009

kerian wrote:
Does anyone have an easy way to compare file based TMs in txt format to find duplicates and/or changed 100%? The files are pretty big so word comparison seems out.

I assume you're talking about TMs in the Trados TXT format. As far as I know, those TMs do not contain match percentage information, so you'll only be able to find duplicates (not changed 100%s). And I'm afraid I don't know of any non-Trados program that can read those TMs. But... AFAIK Trados can import those TMs into a blank TM, and then you can use Trados' own TM processing utilities.

kerian
United States
Local time: 11:56
TOPIC STARTER
Looking mainly for changes in 100% Jun 30, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

kerian wrote:

I assume you're talking about TMs in the Trados TXT format. As far as I know, those TMs do not contain match percentage information, so you'll only be able to find duplicates (not changed 100%s). And I'm afraid I don't know of any non-Trados program that can read those TMs. But... AFAIK Trados can import those TMs into a blank TM, and then you can use Trados' own TM processing utilities.

Thanks Samuel, my main need is to identify changes to 100% matches.

Here's the deal: we have several translators. They have read-only access to a project tm and return a txt file for their translation, which gets merged to main file. They've been instructed not to change 100% matches, but we're finding some do. For legal reasons, some segments cannot be changed and the files are often large, so we need a way to identify if changes were made before merging.

We can get their files in .tmx format instead of .txt, if that opens up some possibilities for solution. Thanks again any suggestions!

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just a shot in the dark. Jun 30, 2009

Maybe with the Okapi Framework (Olifant, etc) ???

--> http://okapi.sourceforge.net/

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A question about Trados Jul 1, 2009

kerian wrote:
They have read-only access to a project tm and return a txt file for their translation, which gets merged to main file. They've been instructed not to change 100% matches, but we're finding some do.

I don't use Trados myself. Can Trados' TM crunching tool detect duplicates (same source) and then delete the ones specified in some way by the user (e.g. delete the latest one, or delete the one whose creation user ID is not ABC, etc)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An easy way to compare file-based TMs in txt format to find duplicates and/or changed 100%?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search