"Error creating window handle" on Ctrl+F in SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Milan Hudecek
Milan Hudecek
Local time: 18:05
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 1, 2009

I am occasionally getting the "Error creating window handle" message on Ctrl+F (as well as on Edit -> Find) in SDL Trados Studio 2009. Sometimes it is enough to switch to another view and back, sometimes I have to restart the application. It may be a bug but perhaps someone already came across a solution... Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
It seems to be related to your default browser Jul 1, 2009

I used to have such issues and setting IE as the default browser helped - which is quite unfortunate for other reasons.

Milan Hudecek
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, tried that... Jul 2, 2009

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

I used to have such issues and setting IE as the default browser helped - which is quite unfortunate for other reasons.

Thank you; the problem reappeared so I tried your suggestion - unfortunately, without immediate success... But I also received a "low memory" message and I cannot copy anything from Trados Studio to clipboard. What is funny is that Windows Task Manager says I have 0.9 GB of physical memory available out of 2 GB. I guess that should be enough. Anyway, I will keep IE as the default browser, maybe it will prevent this from reappearing in the future (and let you know about the result).

hhl
English to German
Confirm Jul 3, 2009

I can confirm this ""Error creating window handle" error, exactly as described, plus the memory error (I have multiple other such messages now and then, only when working with Studio, of course). I also got this message with other functions. It seems to relate to the copy&paste error.

Save work, close Studio, restart Studio, and I can CTRL-F again. It's no doubt a bug, but yet I have no clue if it is Studio's runtime environment or the application itself.

Milan Hudecek
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further to this error Jul 16, 2009

Milan Hudecek wrote:

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Thank you; the problem reappeared so I tried your suggestion - unfortunately, without immediate success... But I also received a "low memory" message and I cannot copy anything from Trados Studio to clipboard. What is funny is that Windows Task Manager says I have 0.9 GB of physical memory available out of 2 GB. I guess that should be enough. Anyway, I will keep IE as the default browser, maybe it will prevent this from reappearing in the future (and let you know about the result).

Some more experience: Keeping IE as the default browser does not seem to have had any impact on Studio’s behaviour, which, after a couple of thousand words translated in this product, can be summarised as follows: After about 500 words of translation, it is not possible to copy, the error mentioned in the topic title starts appearing on Ctrl+F and also on Batch Tasks -> Finalize, and unless I restart the application at that point, it crashes soon. Are SLD people aware of this? Is something being done about it?

Other than that, I must say love this product. I don’t remember being this happy with a new version of any software I use.

[Edited at 2009-07-17 07:07 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, they are Jul 17, 2009

Are SLD people aware of this? Is something being done about it?

Hi Milan, yes, they are aware of this problem as I reported it to them a few weeks ago. And I've been reassured that this and similar problems (probably C++-related) are being worked on.

Milan Hudecek
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 17, 2009

Thanks, Stanislav!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Error creating window handle" on Ctrl+F in SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search