Is this really how AutoSuggest is supposed to work?
Thread poster: Andrew Levine

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

So I rushed out to buy SDL Trados Studio 2009 so I could take advantage of the free AutoSuggest feature that sounded so revolutionary. And I found it was not hard to create a "dictionary" from my larger TMs and load it when translating a project. And the results that the feature returns are very good: For example, a source segment begins "Le classement..." and as soon as I have typed an uppercase "T" in the target field, I get the suggestions "The classification" and "The filing". Wonderful!

There's just one small problem. The interface for actually entering the term is horrible! The only way to enter the term into the target field is to double-click on the answer you want. You have to take one hand off the keyboard, visually locate where the cursor is on the screen, reach for the mouse or trackpad, move the cursor, and then click twice. It disrupts the flow of typing, as there appears to be no way at all to simply enter the highlighted term using the keyboard. And this is supposed to be a speed-boosting feature!

Are SDL's developers not used to testing user interfaces at all? The most logical and natural thing to is to be able to hit Enter to input the text. I mean, if there's AutoSuggested terms visible on the screen, it means that you are in the process of typing a word, and thus it's unlikely you're going to WANT to confirm the segment and skip to the next one. And yet typing Enter does exactly that.

The truly crazy part is that you can use the up or down arrow keys to highlight AutoSuggested terms, but this serves no purpose whatsoever since you are obligated to move the mouse and double-click anyway.

Has anyone had the same reaction? Will SDL release a patch in which hitting Enter (or some other key) inputs the highlighted text, as one would assume?

[Edited at 2009-07-02 01:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Tab or Alt+Enter Jul 2, 2009

In my computer, I can accept the terms by hitting Tab or Alt+Enter. I use either depending on the position of my fingers at the time.

[Edited at 2009-07-02 02:17 GMT]

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 2, 2009

Well that does change things.

Where did you learn of this tip? The included Help guide only seems to indicate double-clicking as an option.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Don't remember Jul 2, 2009

I think it's on the help file but honestly I don't remember.

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try banging on your keyboard Jul 2, 2009

I found the TAB shortcut by banging on my keyboard in desperation:)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
New plugin to show shortcut list… Jul 2, 2009

Hi Andrew,

You can view and change your keyboard shortcuts from the options menu in SDL Trados Studio 2009. Please go to Tools > Options > Keyboard Shortcuts to view the currently assigned shortcuts. If you wish to change a shortcut then please enter your new keyboard shortcut in the "Shortcut" box next to the action.

We also have a new plug-in which will display all of the keyboard shortcuts for you in a new window. For more information, please read the following article from our knowledge base:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2530&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-07-02 12:22 GMT]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
This is really cool Jul 2, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

You can view and change your keyboard shortcuts from the options menu in SDL Trados Studio 2009.

This new feature is more than welcome. Methinks laptop users will be delighted!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Simply ENTER... Jul 3, 2009

...works fine for me.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Concordance and Enter Jul 7, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

...works fine for me.

Unfortunately 'Enter' doesn't work if the concordance window is open, as Enter is also assigned to 'Perform concordance search'. Of course, the shortcut can be removed or changed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this really how AutoSuggest is supposed to work?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search