Unnecessary tags between almost every word in TagEditor
Thread poster: Michal Chmielewski

Michal Chmielewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:06
German to Polish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

I have the following problem: I have just converted a jpg-file using ABBYY FineReader to a Word document (MS Word 2007) and than I have opened this Word document in my TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007 TagEdiotr). As a result I got a TagEditor file with the following tags: /cf and cf spacing="0.0" appearing almost between every word.

Question: is there any way to delete these or any other unnecessary tags at once?

You can see this problematic TagEditor file under:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=485415283&albumID=221535&imageID=1010535

Michael McCain  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
Search / replace all spaces Jul 2, 2009

Try doing a search/replace of all spaces " " in the Word document before translating in TagEditor. I had the same problem once and this solution worked. I think ABBYY was introducing space marks with formatting that differed from that of the visible characters. The fastest approach may even be to clear all formatting in the Word document (select all / clear formatting), translate in TagEditor, and then quickly format the translated document.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
... Jul 2, 2009

Once again I present here my Word macro which eliminates the described problem (in a selection)

Sub normal_density_of_chars()
'
' normal_density_of_chars after FineReader
'
With Selection.Font
.Spacing = 0
.Scaling = 100
.Position = 0
.Kerning = 0
End With
End Sub

HTH
Antonin

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Unnecessary tags Jul 2, 2009

Michal,

You need to save the FineReader output with as little formatting as possible in order to reduce the number of the formatting tags. Select "Plaint text" or "Formatted text" for "Retain layout", definitely not "Editable copy" or "Exact copy".

Hynek

Michal Chmielewski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jul 2, 2009

Thank you guys, I have used the solution proposed by Mike and it works! The solutions of Hynek and Anton will work for sure either, I will use them in future.

Michael McCain wrote:

Try doing a search/replace of all spaces " " in the Word document before translating in TagEditor. I had the same problem once and this solution worked. I think ABBYY was introducing space marks with formatting that differed from that of the visible characters. The fastest approach may even be to clear all formatting in the Word document (select all / clear formatting), translate in TagEditor, and then quickly format the translated document.

[Zmieniono 2009-07-02 15:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unnecessary tags between almost every word in TagEditor

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search