Thread poster: Pernille Kock
Pernille Kock
Pernille Kock  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:26
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

I was sent a translation memory .tmx, and I can't open it with workbench, normally I receive the memories as .tmw, could someone tell me how to open the .tmx in trados 2007, or maybe tell me if it is a memory for a different CAT tool.

Thanks,

Pernille Kock

Belenmc
Belenmc  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Import the file to a new TM Jul 2, 2009

Hi,

I think .tmx is a global type of memory. But why don't you try creating a new memory in Trados and importing your .tmx file?

When I click on "import", it allows me to choose a tmx file...

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
Translation Memory Exchange file Jul 2, 2009

Hi Pernille,

TMX stands for Translation Memory Exchange. It is an industry standard enabling exchange of translation memories between different CAT tools.

After creating a new TM, you can import this file.

Selcuk

-------------------
For detailed information please read SDL Trados 2007 Translator's Workbench User Guide.pdf

IMPORTING TRANSLATION MEMORY DATA (p. 173)

[Edited at 2009-07-
... See more
Hi Pernille,

TMX stands for Translation Memory Exchange. It is an industry standard enabling exchange of translation memories between different CAT tools.

After creating a new TM, you can import this file.

Selcuk

-------------------
For detailed information please read SDL Trados 2007 Translator's Workbench User Guide.pdf

IMPORTING TRANSLATION MEMORY DATA (p. 173)

[Edited at 2009-07-02 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:26
English to French
+ ...
Related to Trados, and... Jul 2, 2009

TMX is related to Trados - among others. Most CAT tools nowadays can create, read and use TMX files. So, TMX files are always related to CAT tools, but not to any one CAT tool in particular.

If you want to use a TMX file in Trados, you would need to import its contents into an existing TM. Most of the time, what you need to do is create a new TM, name it, save it and then import the TMX file into it, much like you would import a text TM.

[Edited at 2009-07-02 18:55 GMT]

Pernille Kock
Pernille Kock  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:26
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 2, 2009

Great, thanks a lot you have been very helpful and I have successfully opened the TM.

Pernille

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is .tmx related to trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »