How to convert Word files in order to use Trados?
Thread poster: Being Earnest

Being Earnest
Italy
Local time: 03:58
Italian to English
Jul 4, 2009

Hi. I am a newcomer to CAT and especially Trados. I have free version SPL 2007 Build 7035 SP". Can I convert Word files so that I can use Trados?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-06 12:12 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Trados and Word Jul 4, 2009

There is no need to convert Word files in order to work with Trados, you can work in the Word environment by using Translator's Workbench.
However, I heartily advise you to carefully read the manual, where this is described in detail.
Happy translating!

Kristaps Smilga
Latvia
Local time: 04:58
English to Latvian
+ ...
Translation in Word using Trados Jul 6, 2009

During installation of Trados, toolbar of the programm is automatically added to Word. Only you need to start translating, is to open translation memory using Trados Translator's Workbench, place the cursor at the start of text in Word and click on Open/Get in the Trados toolbar.
Good luck!

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Watch out for paragraph marks Jul 6, 2009

To ensure clean segmentation, make sure that the text does not contain paragraph marks at the end of some of the lines, i.e. in the middle of a sentence. Some authors use this method to format their texts, but CAT tools view the mark as the end of a sentence.

[Edited at 2009-07-06 14:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Word files in order to use Trados?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search