Thread poster: Stanislav Pokorny

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:45
English to Czech
+ ...
Jul 5, 2009

Hi all,
the TM upgrade from TMW to SDLTM is dead slow with larger TMs (over 100,000 TUs). It can take up to one hour on a Core Duo (2 x 1.8 GHz) machine.
I have of course tried to export to TMX, create a new TM in Studio and import the TMX (that's in fact what the "Upgrade" feature does). The result is the same: very slow import.
I have also tried a very "minimalistic" approach: not adding any new fields etc. To no avail.

Does anyone have an idea?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use TMW for upgrade Jul 5, 2009

When using TMX, you lose language specific information, as customized abbreviation or variable lists.
Alternatively you can upgrade using TTX files and you will get also the context information then. But no language specific ressources, though.

As for the process of upgrading: you need a fast PC with a fast hard disk. Otherwise (for example on a laptop) it may take hours. For example my 1 million segments TM took several hours on my laptop and the upgrade did not work in the end. With my desktop (dual core 2,66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Western Digital Raptor x2 in a RAID0 matrix, WIN XP SP3) the whole process took less than 2 hours.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 5, 2009

Hi Jerzy,
I tried TMW upgrade too (as the very first thing, in fact).
The disk speed seems to be a logical explanation: I've been using my laptop so far, because I'm travelling a lot, and my laptop disk speed is only 5,200 rpm.

Thanks anyway!

[Upraveno: 2009-07-05 10:10 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
took me ages, too Jul 5, 2009

Hi,

even though I have used a brand new, fast PC with 4GB and almost no programs (only MSOffice, Suite, MT & Studio) upgrading my *tmws has been a real pain, especially when a not so heavy TM made up of translation units coming from TagEditor-only translations had to be upgraded. I don't know if the fact that there were a lot of tags (originally inx files) and that I had chosen the setting "mixed use" was the problem (per se I'd say no, as I had selected the same setting for all other TMs), but in my frustration I killed the tmw upgrading and tried with a *tmx import, which turned out to be a much slower process. Even though the "Trados-internal" *tmx import is defined as well supported, I don't trust *tmx imports, as in the past many units I definitely had in my original TM had simply vanished in the export process (I knew I had a high match with a specific segment, but it never showed up, not even with Concordance).

I wonder why, out of which technical reason, which escapes my understanding totally, the *txt import is not available in Studio, I never had any problem with it....

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-07-05 12:29 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
txt export is obsolete afaik Jul 5, 2009

and does not support all unit information.
Also TXT was not compatible with other tools, so this might very well be the reason.

As for the process itself - it is slow, so we have to live with that. The good thing about it is, that you need to use it only once, so that makes it not so problematic. Given the fact, that new TMs have much more sophisticated structure than the old, it does not wonder me that much. Even in old Tradis exporting anr reimporting of big TMs took some time.

Best regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
HDD speed Jul 5, 2009

Average laptop HDDs have much lower transfer rates and access times as desktop HDDs.
The conversion process is using HDD a lot, so a laptop HDD is the crucial point.
For comparison:
one of the fastest laptop HDDs, a Seagate Momentus 5400 has average read/write speed of 68/62 MB/s and an access time of 13 ms
a Seagate Barracuda for desktop has 105/92 MB/s with 11 ms

My system uses two Western Digital Raptor HDDs (10,000 rpm) with comparable speed to this (much newer) Barracuda, but working in a RAID0 matrix, which means stripped - the performance of such system is nearly double that of a single HDD.
Makes the whole running nicely smooth

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
just a note on disks Jul 5, 2009

SSD's have left spinning platter HDD's in the dust... so if you want fast, go SSD (good SSD; there are huge differences between them).
I'm pretty sure the OCZ Vertex in my notebook is faster than two raided raptors in most situations.
I don't have Studio so I can't tell you how long the process takes.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not when you have to read/write numerous small files Jul 5, 2009

Recently published test in the Polish CHIP newspaper.
According to this, flash disks are not really faster as magnetic drives (taken the average performance, when writing and reading mixed files, what is a very realistic scenario).
SSD drives are unbeatable when it comes to access speed, as they offer access by 0.1 ms, compared to 7 or 12.3 ms for HDDs.
But... the average realistic write performance of a OCZ Vertex 120 GB was 86 MB/S compared 81 MB/s for a VelociRaptor or 74 MB/s for Caviar Black (both Western Digital). The write performance for OCZ Vertex was 54 MB/s, compared to 70 MB/s or 62 MB/s for those HDDs.
Given the price difference - the price per GB for Vertex is 34 times higher than for Caviar Black and still nearly 6 times as high as for VelociRaptor - there is no real sense to invest in a SSD drive. You should also remember, that flash disks have a limited number of write operations, what in an database environmet as Trados may give you a very bad experience of a drive stopping working randomly.

BTW, the Vertex was the fastest drive in test. The best buy drive was GoodDrive, where the performance was far beyond tgose of magnetic drives.
SSD is a great alternative for mobile devices, because they don't produce heat and are not sensitive to a potentiall fall. But I still honestly do not see them as a replacement for a good magnetic drive. Not yet.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Problematic for people who are still working a lot with Trados 2007 Jul 6, 2009

As for the process itself - it is slow, so we have to live with that. The good thing about it is, that you need to use it only once, so that makes it not so problematic.
"Only once" if you decide to switch to Studio and stick to it. For people like me who still work a lot with the 2007 Suite, it does make things complicated.

I decided to give Studio a try, upgraded my main TMs, it took ages too since I've been working with Trados for many years and my TM are really big. I made a couple of jobs with Studio and I really don't like it much, so I'm planning on using it for specific projects only for the time being or when I have a lot of time on my hands and want to get familiar with Studio. But I'm back to 2007 Suite for my every day work and much happier that way.

Now I can't upgrade my main TM again each time I want to work in Studio for a job because it takes so long. So I'm not sure about the best work around in that case (= how to work with an updated TM in Studio when I'm working with Trados 2007 the rest of the time).

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not see a problem, really Jul 6, 2009

Just export your TMW to tmx, filtering the export by date, after you last time did the export, and import it to Studio. Does not take any longer, than in any other tools.
BTW, it works the same way vice versa.

So upgrading TMW is really to be done once. I agree, it is slow, but you can use your machine during that time for something else or you can start the upgrade process during the weekend (as it is possible to chose multiple TMs for upgrading) and leave the PC alone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: TM upgrade dead slow with larger TMs

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search