Analysis: Why is it that my translation analysis differs from the agency's?
Thread poster: Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2009

Dear all,
I am fairly new to Trados and I have been having trouble analysing documents for one specific agency. I have Trados 7.0 and Vista 2007.
This is the second time that my analysis does not match the agency's analysis, is this possible if the agency is using an older version of Trados?
On the first occasion, the word count differed by about 3,000 words and this time the number of repetitions differs by about 6,000 words.
My analysis counts 538 repetitions and their
... See more
Dear all,
I am fairly new to Trados and I have been having trouble analysing documents for one specific agency. I have Trados 7.0 and Vista 2007.
This is the second time that my analysis does not match the agency's analysis, is this possible if the agency is using an older version of Trados?
On the first occasion, the word count differed by about 3,000 words and this time the number of repetitions differs by about 6,000 words.
My analysis counts 538 repetitions and their analysis counts 6694 repetitions, this is an enormous difference! How can this happen? Do they have different settings or could there be something wrong with my software? How can I check?
Thanks to all in advance for your help.
Daniela
Collapse

Mauricio Manzo
Mauricio Manzo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:31
English to Spanish
Trados Penalties Jul 6, 2009

You could ask the agency to send you a screenshot with the Trados penalties they are using. Perhaps they differ from default parameters and this is causing the difference in the word count.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:31
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
A few ideas Jul 6, 2009

Sorry if some are too obvious, but since you are fairly new to Trados, let's start from those:
- Are you using the same TM as they do?
- Do you analyse your files before you begin translating?
- What type are the files? If they are TTX, and you don't have the same .ini file as they don, this could definitely be the reason. Before analysing, you should indicate the correct .ini file in Workbench. Also, it is quite possible that you have 2 or more ini files for similar file types
... See more
Sorry if some are too obvious, but since you are fairly new to Trados, let's start from those:
- Are you using the same TM as they do?
- Do you analyse your files before you begin translating?
- What type are the files? If they are TTX, and you don't have the same .ini file as they don, this could definitely be the reason. Before analysing, you should indicate the correct .ini file in Workbench. Also, it is quite possible that you have 2 or more ini files for similar file types, and Workbench picks the wrong one. I had such a problem with HTML files and slightly modified ini's. Check your analysis log - the ini file used is indicated there. If it is wrong, or there's a message about multiple inis, remove the wrong ones from the Tag Settings Manager.
- The agency or you may also be using non-standard TM settings defined in Setup.

HTH
Adam
Collapse

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Jul 6, 2009

Thanks for both your replies.
I carried out the analysis before I started translating on a new TM. The documents are simple Word documents. I am pretty new to Trados, so nothing can ever be too obvious! Any ideas?
Daniela

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you copy the analysis? Jul 6, 2009

One thing to check is whether the total ammount of words is the same.

Very basic things:

Make sure that you are analysing the same files.

Make sure that you are looking at the right place in the analysis file (the total for all documents and not the partial result from one file).

Can you copy the analysis results? That might help to see what the problem might be.

Daniel

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:31
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Ask them Jul 6, 2009

Daniela Ciafardoni wrote:

Yes, few weeks ago encountered difference in repetitions in my and client's analyses for more than 10 000 words. Asked them and it turned out that between multiple files sent for translation they had mistakenly included one doubling some others and created by them just for analyses purposes.

So the first thing I advise- send them your analyses and ask how did they obtain theirs. It may be just some human mistake.

Uldis

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Analyses Jul 7, 2009

Thanks to both of you, this is what happened on the first occasion.
Agency's analysis.
Analyse Total (8 files):

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 5,041 16,859 21 20
100% 0 0 0 0
95% - 99% 0 0 0 0
85% - 94% 0 0 0 0
... See more
Thanks to both of you, this is what happened on the first occasion.
Agency's analysis.
Analyse Total (8 files):

Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 5,041 16,859 21 20
100% 0 0 0 0
95% - 99% 0 0 0 0
85% - 94% 0 0 0 0
75% - 84% 0 0 0 0
50% - 74% 0 0 0 0
No Match 3,877 64,003 79 3
Total 8,918 80,862 100 23

Chars/Word 5.58
Chars Total 451,673

My analysis:

Analyse Total (8 files):

Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 4,635 18,821 23 11,233
100% 0 0 0 0
95% - 99% 0 0 0 0
85% - 94% 0 0 0 0
75% - 84% 0 0 0 0
50% - 74% 0 0 0 0
No Match 3,904 64,757 77 12,735
Total 8,539 83,578 100 23,968

Chars/Word 5.40
Chars Total 451,919

My analysis was carried out with Windows Vista and Trados 8.2.0.835 (Build 835), their analysis was carried out on a Pc with Trados 7.5.0.756 and Windows XP SP3.
They said that they had the default penalty settings and that there must be something wrong with my software. The memory was empty in both cases.
I am now wondering whether my settings are wrong, or different? I'm really sorry I am going on about this, but I really would like to resolve the mistery, even because I wouldn't want to be sending out the wrong word counts.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have regarding this matter.
Daniela
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Difference in placeables? Jul 7, 2009

Hi,

From what I see, there seems to be a huge difference in the number of placeables.

It could be that you are analysing the Word files as if you were gonig to translate them with TagEditor. Your agency must be analysing them as if you were to translate them in MS Word.

Try this: In h the Workbench, go t
... See more
Hi,

From what I see, there seems to be a huge difference in the number of placeables.

It could be that you are analysing the Word files as if you were gonig to translate them with TagEditor. Your agency must be analysing them as if you were to translate them in MS Word.

Try this: In h the Workbench, go to "Options" -> Translation memory options. Go to the "Tools" tab.

You should see an option called "TRADOSTag XML workflow for Word doc files".

I believe that you have this option enabled and your agency has disabled it.

Disable it and do the analysis again. Let us know if it gets any more similar.

There is also a similar option called "TRADOSTag XML worfklow for Workbench RTF files". Disable it too.

Nevertheless, I think that the results will not be totally identical because each of you are using different versions of Trados.

If you normally translate Word DOC and RTF files in TagEditor, you should re-enable these options.

I hope this helps!

Daniel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysis: Why is it that my translation analysis differs from the agency's?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »