the bothering trados problem is : {0> TEXT HERE TRANSLATION
Thread poster: Sercan Çelik
Sercan Çelik
Local time: 23:28
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2009

Hello everybody,
I'm using sdl trados 2007 with office 2007. There had seemed no problem until yesterday about its functioning. However, when i was working on to translate a word document, I somehow managed to cause a problem.
When I'm trying to translate a text using Word, when I click 'Open/Get', there occurs some symbols respectively "{0> TEXT HERE TRANSLATION

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:28
English to German
+ ...
1. Read the manual 2. Search the forums Jul 7, 2009

Hi "wittyboy",
This behaviour is perfectly normal; the related issue (display of hidden text and non-printable characters) has been discussed at length in this forum.

Therefore, may I suggest to read the software documentation, and to search this forum (search for "hidden text"). You may also want to consider using TagEditor.

Best regards,
Ralf

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
That's how it has to be ;-) in an uncleaned file Jul 7, 2009

hello "wittyboy"

there is nothing wrong with those tags....

On the contrary, it simply means that Trados is working perfectly If you look at the source you'll see that it is dotted, meaning that the text is actually hidden.

When you are done with translating you simply use the Cleanup command from the Tools menu and you'll have a neat target-only file.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-07-07 10:29 GMT]

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Useful shortcut in Word Jul 7, 2009

If you hold down both the CTRL and SHIFT keys, and then press the "8" key (NOT the "8" on the keypad, by the way ), you will have a nifty way of toggling on and off this hidden and revealed text.

This move is essential if you want to spell check before cleaning up while using TRADOS.

[Edited at 2009-07-07 10:52 GMT]

Sercan Çelik
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 7, 2009

Thank you for all your comments and advices.
In the light of the tips you offered, now I am able to get rid of these 'bothering' symbols. I am able to do this by using macros. I open macros by ' alt + f8 ' and work the macro named "tw4winClean.Main" and these symbols disappear. However, before that started, this functioned automatically.
Now I'm looking for how to do this automatic again.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reading the manual would help Jul 7, 2009

You should not clean-up your document before you are ready.
Using the macro you noticed DELETES the source text PERMANENTLY from your Word file, so no changes to your translations and no further TM updates are possible.

BTW, working with hidden text switched on, what is the ONLY cause for appearing of those "boring" symbols as you said, is the only safe way to work with Trados in Word.
I think leavig them shown would make you life less complicated as deleting them permanently with tw4winclean.main macro.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No offence meant Jul 7, 2009

Hi "wittyboy",

You can of course use the software you bought in any legal way, and yours is legal for sure.

On the other hand, this way of using Trados reminds me of felling a tree with a chainsaw whose the power has been switched off because you feel bothered by the noise. Let me underline I am not saying this to offend you, but rather to make you see the usefulness of reading the manuals and understading the basics of what you are doing.

HTH

Antonin

Sercan Çelik
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Mr. Antonin ! Jul 7, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Hi "wittyboy",

You can of course use the software you bought in any legal way, and yours is legal for sure.

On the other hand, this way of using Trados reminds me of felling a tree with a chainsaw whose the power has been switched off because you feel bothered by the noise. Let me underline I am not saying this to offend you, but rather to make you see the usefulness of reading the manuals and understading the basics of what you are doing.

HTH

Antonin

Thanks Mr. Otahal. I want to say that I'm a 'beginner' for trados. I'm a student and I'm trying to figure out what's going on I believe it will be beneficial for me in the near future so that's why i try to spend time on experiencing it. I didn't resent! Thanks for sharing your personal view.

But I'm still insisting on learning the logic behind the use of macros. Looking someone to help me understand it!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
"If you build it, they will come" Jul 7, 2009

You will understand a bit better once you read the manuals, and much better once you read them again.

As I have many times said, it is very dangerous to use TRADOS without having read the manuals and practiced. TRADOS is complex and complicated; it is not a turnkey or intuitive tool.

Here you have that the very thing that you found "bothersome" is the very foundation of the system. Yet you went ahead and used a macro that is reserved for a legitimate function, which is not to delete that which bothered you. You deleted that bothersome text and characters, in fact deleting your source text. So, after deleting them, how are you going to use the TWB (Trados Workbench) to your advantage? You have been left with no text to translate, thus rendering the application useless. What you actually did was "clean" the document, a process that is automatically done via the appropriate function once the translation is completed and in order to update the translation memory (TM) and leave only the target text on the document.

Sercan Çelik
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! I wonder how to 'hide' translated sections. Jul 9, 2009

Thanks for your contribution to my experience. Now I am aware that keeping the original text is the main benefit of it so let me learn how I can hide 'translated' sections not to see them after being translated in Word.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
User manual, F1 or forum search Jul 9, 2009

wittyboy wrote:

Thanks for your contribution to my experience. Now I am aware that keeping the original text is the main benefit of it so let me learn how I can hide 'translated' sections not to see them after being translated in Word.

I agree that reading user manuals is not so enjoyable. Another good alternative is the magic F1 key. Type "hidden text" in the search box of Trados Workbench's help file and read the section "Hidden Text in Word".

Asking questions at Trados support forum is another solution, almost all questions are answered. Making a search in the forums can also be helpful http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

You will see that some questions were asked and answered previously, e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/92236-how_to_deactivate_source_text_display_in_word_documents-.html

Sercan Çelik
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution is found... Thanks! Jul 9, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

wittyboy wrote:

I agree that reading user manuals is not so enjoyable. Another good alternative is the magic F1 key. Type "hidden text" in the search box of Trados Workbench's help file and read the section "Hidden Text in Word".

Asking questions at Trados support forum is another solution, almost all questions are answered. Making a search in the forums can also be helpful http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

You will see that some questions were asked and answered previously, e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/92236-how_to_deactivate_source_text_display_in_word_documents-.html

Thanks so much. Previous discussion topic you referred in your reply provided exact solution for me right now. Thank you...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the bothering trados problem is : {0> TEXT HERE TRANSLATION

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search