Studio 2009 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:51
German to English
Jul 7, 2009

I just upgraded to Trados 2009 a few days ago, and have had continuous issues with the above error. This problem was reported by other users when trying to access Preview, but I was merely typing in a segment when this error occured. I followed someone's suggestion of closing and restarting the program, but this merely has the effect of shutting down the entire program once I start typing again (after re-starting).

Your advice/help is appreciated, thanks.

Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here Jul 7, 2009

I have the same problem, and after exchanging a very long string of e-mails (during a couple of weeks) with Trados support, after uninstalling and reinstalling, messing around with computer security settings and the works, no solution has been found. I have basically returned to good old Trados 2007 until they can figure something out. If you come up with a solution, would you please let me know?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Re-register Trados 2007 Jul 8, 2009

Hi all,
I had the same problem and during a WebEx session, Richard from SDL Support re-registered Trados 2007. This has resolved quite a number of issues (crashing still occurs but less frequently, opening files is much quicker).

Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Been there, done that Jul 8, 2009

Unfortunately, that did not do the trick for me either.

Aditi Kane
Aditi Kane  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Returning back to SDL Trados 2007 Jul 11, 2009

Hello Darrell,

I have been getting same error "Object Reference not set to instance of object " since last week.

I would like to switch back to SDL Trados 2007.

When I upgraded from SDL Trados 2007 to Studio 2009, I have returned my license of SDL Trados 2007.

If I need to switch back to SDL Trados 2007, do I need to return Studio 2009 license and get SDL Trados 2007?

Did you do the same or did you follow any other procedure?... See more
Hello Darrell,

I have been getting same error "Object Reference not set to instance of object " since last week.

I would like to switch back to SDL Trados 2007.

When I upgraded from SDL Trados 2007 to Studio 2009, I have returned my license of SDL Trados 2007.

If I need to switch back to SDL Trados 2007, do I need to return Studio 2009 license and get SDL Trados 2007?

Did you do the same or did you follow any other procedure?

thanks,
Aditi Kane
Collapse

Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing computers might do the trick Jul 11, 2009

I think that part of my issue may have been my old computer - when my husband re-installed the program on a more powerful computer (incl 8 gig memory and a better CPU), the problem disappeared, although I had a few instances where the program crashed without any warning or error indication. It has happened twice so far, but has not been a major problem other than forcing me to restart the program.

[Edited at 2009-07-12 01:37 GMT]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Damn! Jul 12, 2009

Brigitte Hamilton wrote:

a more powerful computer (8 gig memory and a better CPU)

It had to be said.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No Jul 12, 2009

Aditi Kane wrote:

No, you don't. These are two different and separate licenses (activation codes).

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:51
English to Turkish
+ ...
Any solutions? Sep 20, 2009

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error occurs when I try to change the settings in Term Recognition Hitlist Settings. Unfortunately Term Recognition does not work.

[Edited at 2009-09-21 09:13 GMT]

Emir Ozcelik
Emir Ozcelik  Identity Verified
France
French to Turkish
+ ...
I think I've found the solution Feb 8, 2011

Hello everybody,

I'm new to SDL Trados and I've just encountered with this error (as well as several other similar errors regarding panes). After several attempts, I tried "Reset Window Layout" within the "View" tab. At first, it really messed up the screen of Studio. Then, I closed the software and restarted it. It was like new.
I think this problem is caused because of personal arrangements of panes.
I hope this will help other people suffering from the same problem.
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm new to SDL Trados and I've just encountered with this error (as well as several other similar errors regarding panes). After several attempts, I tried "Reset Window Layout" within the "View" tab. At first, it really messed up the screen of Studio. Then, I closed the software and restarted it. It was like new.

Good luck.
Collapse

Talyb Samedov
Talyb Samedov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 20, 2011

I used Emir's trick and it worked! Thank you so much!

Truc Tran Van
Truc Tran Van
Vietnam
Local time: 03:51
English to Vietnamese
The simple trick works. Sep 26, 2011

Emir Ozcelik wrote:

Hello everybody,

Good luck.

Your trick works.

Thanks a lot Emir.

Annie Beaudette
Annie Beaudette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:51
French to English
+ ...
Emir, you're a genius! Oct 13, 2011

After several attempts, I tried "Reset Window Layout" within the "View" tab. At first, it really messed up the screen of Studio. Then, I closed the software and restarted it. It was like new.

I tried your trick and everything's back to normal! Thanks!

José Helbert
José Helbert
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great! Oct 14, 2011

So simple! Thanks a lot, sir!

Emir Ozcelik wrote:

Hello everybody,

Good luck.

Oana Ţica
Oana Ţica
Romania
Local time: 23:51
English to Romanian
+ ...
Brilliant! Oct 28, 2011

Emir Ozcelik wrote:

Hello everybody,

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing this.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »