T2009: How to change TM source language from En (UK) to En (US)
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2009

I have a .sdltm TM with English (UK) as source language and Norwegian as target. I need to change the source language into English (US).

I know it's possible to do it the dirty way: Export to .tmx, open in a txt editor, change language codes and import back to .sdltm. However, I would like to check whether anyone knew a more elegant solution?

Btw, the differentiation between English (UK) and English (US) might make some sense when English is the target language, but less so when English is source. Is there any way to "turn it off"?

[Edited at 2009-07-09 20:34 GMT]

Change the source language to target language Jul 5, 2012

I saw your question about how change the source language into English (US).
I know it was a long time ago but nowadays it happen again to me and I want share with you the resolution finded for that:

First I export the translation memory (.sdltm) to (.tmx)
Second I create a new translation memory. Choose the target language and souce language and finally I imported the file .tmx
The units were imported in the inverted order !!!!

I hope it may help someone!!!!

See ya!icon_wink.gif

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dirty way Jul 5, 2012

Roberta Gasques wrote:

First I export the translation memory (.sdltm) to (.tmx)
Second I create a new translation memory. Choose the target language and souce language and finally I imported the file .tmx
The units were imported in the inverted order !!!!

Exactly the dirty way that I described in my post from 2009 (see above).

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Differentiation of source language variants Jul 5, 2012

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Btw, the differentiation between English (UK) and English (US) might make some sense when English is the target language, but less so when English is source. Is there any way to "turn it off"?

[Edited at 2009-07-09 20:34 GMT]

No way. Differentiating language variants exclusively for the target language is a (very sensible) suggestion we keep reading - and making - for years. We're probably not making enough waves ...

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SQLiteBrowser Jul 6, 2012

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

I have a .sdltm TM with English (UK) as source language and Norwegian as target. I need to change the source language into English (US).

I know it's possible to do it the dirty way: Export to .tmx, open in a txt editor, change language codes and import back to .sdltm. However, I would like to check whether anyone knew a more elegant solution?

Download SQLiteBrowser (freeware).
Open your TM, Browse Data, select translation_memories table, edit the language code.

Cheers
GG

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Great solution! Aug 23, 2012

SQLite Browser works really fine. The language codes can be found under "Browse Data" -> translation memories.

Just click on the source language code you want to change, change it in the window that opens, choose "Apply" and it's done.

Much better than exprting into tmx, but not really elegant yet, like an SDL internal solution. Come on, SDL guys, it is such a common problem. I am sure we are all grown up enough not to confuse en-US and en-UK if you let us change the languages from inside SDL Studio.icon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2012-08-23 11:18 GMT]

Louis La Bonté  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:17
English to French
Precision about en, fr, en-CA, fr-CA, etc. May 22, 2014

Hi,

I know the thread is old, but for those like me who have been provided with a TMX where the languages are only shown as "en" and "fr", just know that these are automatically considered as "en-US" and "fr-FR"... even when that is not the case.

So, if you need to change the TMX languages to make it compatible with your language pair in, say, the too often flimsy-clumsy Trados, you must change them to the appropriate language code, in my case "en-CA" and "fr-CA" (for Canadian idioms).

[Modifié le 2014-05-22 14:31 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Or use AnyTM... May 22, 2014

... as described in these articles.

It’s all English… right?
http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

AnyTM… or SuperTM!
http://wp.me/s2xDjK-supertm

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T2009: How to change TM source language from En (UK) to En (US)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search