T2009: translating *.itd files
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:47
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2009

Hi again

I have *.itd (SDL Edit) files for translation and want to process them in T2009.

When opening in T2009, the files consist of 100% draft segments (to be ignored) and fuzzy segments (to be edited).

Problem is, I am not able to skip the 100% draft segments (I have to go through them one by one). I would need to do one of the following:

a) find a command that let me skip 100% draft segments and go to the next non-100% draft segment.

b) change the status of all 100% draft segments to confirmed

c) find a way to extract all the 100% draft segments (but not non-100% draft segments) to a TM, then run pre-translate with "confirmed 100% matches" checked.

Has anyone out there experience with *.itd files?

[Edited at 2009-07-09 10:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
CTRL+G Jul 9, 2009

is the jump function.
And you can globally confirm.
Quote from online-help:
NOTE
You can also confirm a group of translations by holding down the [CTRL] key and clicking on the segment number column to select the rows you want to confirm. Right-click in the segment number column of the last selected row and select Change Segment Status > Translated/Translation Approved/Signed Off from the shortcut menu

Sometimes rtfm really helps...

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 18:47
English to Vietnamese
SDLX Switcboard Jul 9, 2009

I am using SDLX 2006, but this might still applies to SDLX 2009, I hope:

b) You can use SDL Utilites (can be accessed through SDLX Switcboard) to lock all 100% matched, then open the ITD file, select all the segments and right click and select Confirm/Unconfirm > Confirm. That's way only 100% matches will be confirmed. Use the same process to unlock all the segments.

c) Create a new TM, then import your ITD file(s) into this TM, select to import only 100% Matched Segments.

Hope this helps.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Global confirm Jul 9, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And you can globally confirm.
Quote from online-help:
NOTE
You can also confirm a group of translations by holding down the [CTRL] key and clicking on the segment number column to select the rows you want to confirm. Right-click in the segment number column of the last selected row and select Change Segment Status > Translated/Translation Approved/Signed Off from the shortcut menu

Sometimes rtfm really helps...

Thanks for your input, Jerzy. Wbrew pozorem, I usually take a look in the help files before posting on this forum;)

Global confirm doesn't really solve the problem as the 100% drafts are spread all over the files. The files have appr. 100,000 x 100 % drafts and 15,000 x fuzzy drafts, so obviously it would be too time-consuming to select and confirm all the 100% drafts rows manually.

If there is a way to globally select only 100% drafts, that would of course do the trick.

I will try out the jump function as soon as I get back to my office.

[Edited at 2009-07-09 10:40 GMT]

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX 2009 Jul 9, 2009

tvtruc wrote:

I am using SDLX 2006, but this might still applies to SDLX 2009, I hope:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no such things as SDLX 2009. Trados/SDLX has been integrated in the new SDL Trados Studio 2009 that solves some of our old problems and create quite a bit of new ones.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is a global "Sign off" function Jul 9, 2009

So after you jumped over the whole text and edited the fuzzies you may want to open the file in review modus and use the functions there. A global sign off for al sements in the file is certainly possible. Adn sign off means more than confirm, so it should also include confirmation.
And if not - why donźt you open the itd afterwards in SDLX and use the tool mentioned by tvtruc? This is what I would do in case of doubt.
And BTW, I did not mean you have not looked on forum on manual - sometimes however people tend to forget, that an online help or manual do exist. It was more a general remark.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jul 9, 2009

Hi Bjørnar,

You can filter fuzzy match segments in SDL Trados Studio 2009. Please follow these instructions:

1. Open your ITD in the Editor.
2. Go to View > Toolbars > Display Filter. You will then see the Display Filter toolbar appear.
3. Under Display, select Fuzzy Matches. You can also filter for segments containing a specific word or phrase.
4. Press Enter to apply the filter settings

Thsi will filter out all Fuzzy matches for translation.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy, Gareth and tvtruc Jul 9, 2009

Gareth certainly provided the textbook solution here, but jumping would also have gotten me very far.

It is also a good idea to process the files in SDLX 2007, which I still have a license for under T2009.

Thanks a lot all of you for saving me a lot of headache. (I promise that I eventually will get down to reading all the documentation)

hhl
English to German
display only unlocked segments Jul 10, 2009

The DISPLAY bar is a great tool. However, an option for displaying only "Unlocked Segments" could be a valuable extension.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T2009: translating *.itd files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search