Studio 2009 refuses to process Word document with tracked changes
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:18
English to French
+ ...
Jul 10, 2009

I have a question. Has anybody succeeded so far in processing a Word document in Studio with the Process document with non accepted or rejected changes option active?

I tried this with a document that throws the Cannot process because there are unaccepted tracked changes tantrum, and I used the usual workaround - to activate the Process document with... option. Doesn't work and I still can't convert the Word document into an editable file in Studio.

I'm stuck. Help?

[Edited at 2009-07-10 03:11 GMT]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
Member (2004)
German to English
Open the doc and accept the changes Jul 10, 2009

Open the doc in word and accept the changes.
Gillian

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
English to French
+ ...
Other solution Jul 10, 2009

If accepting all changes and turning off the Track Changes function doesn't solve the problem (been there, done that, although not with Studio), open a new Word document, copy and paste the content of your original document in it, and save it.

Another workaround is saving your Word document as RTF, then re-saving it as DOC.

Hope this helps!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions Jul 11, 2009

Gillian, I tried what you propose since this is a bug already known to me from other editions of Trados. Your solution usually works in older versions of Trados--but not this time.

Marie-Claude wrote:

If accepting all changes and turning off the Track Changes function doesn't solve the problem (been there, done that, although not with Studio), open a new Word document, copy and paste the content of your original document in it, and save it.

I tried this, but it changes the layout. I am afraid the client can't afford to work on the layout a second time (and the deal was to get exactly the same document with the layout preserved).
Marie-Claude wrote:

Another workaround is saving your Word document as RTF, then re-saving it as DOC.

This is a more interesting solution. Let me go try that now.

Thanks!

HealthcarePro  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
Exactly the same problem. Aug 21, 2009

Hi I just bought SDL TRADOS 2009, so far I've had nothing but grief with it. 3 out of 4 docs I tried to open had the same problems, I tried copying and pasting to new doc - nothing, tried saving as rtf then doc again - NOTHING, tried forcing via the options in TRADO 2007 - N.O.T.H.I.N.G... getting seriously frustrated here, how can you charge 700 Euros for a software that fails to do the most basic thing... opening a Word doc! Btw, I of course also went and accepted all changes, turned off tracking etc. in Word, it doesn't make the tiniest difference!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Another solution Aug 21, 2009

Hi all,
the RTF workaround usually works. If not, open the document in OpenOffice, accept all changes, save it as DOC again and open in Studio.

farpung
Local time: 22:18
Eureka! Saving the Word 2003 file in Word 2007 format avoided the "tracked changes" bug Aug 29, 2009

After trying all suggestions (except the OpenOffice one) above, I found a simple solution. I am working with Word 2003. I simply saved the file as a Word 2007 file (you have to have installed the free conversion add-on from Microsoft first). The"Convert to translatable format" task sat at 50% for so long I nearly cancelled it, but in the end, everything went fine!icon_smile.gif
I note that SDL-Trados recomment Word 2007, so maybe its time to update to that as well.
Half the day is gone now...:roll: Let the real work begin!

PMz
Complain to MS Aug 31, 2009

difool23 wrote:

Hi I just bought SDL TRADOS 2009, so far I've had nothing but grief with it. 3 out of 4 docs I tried to open had the same problems, I tried copying and pasting to new doc - nothing, tried saving as rtf then doc again - NOTHING, tried forcing via the options in TRADO 2007 - N.O.T.H.I.N.G... getting seriously frustrated here, how can you charge 700 Euros for a software that fails to do the most basic thing... opening a Word doc! Btw, I of course also went and accepted all changes, turned off tracking etc. in Word, it doesn't make the tiniest difference!

Yep it's shame but in this case you need to complain to Microsoft as this is bug in the Word - unfortunately also in Word 2007. Problem is that Word claims that there are no track changes but if you open the DOCX as zip you can still see them - http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2007/01/19/Features_of__Track_Changes_Revisions_explored.aspx

HealthcarePro  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
Solution Aug 31, 2009

I found a solution that so far works for me with the help of Trados support:

You can switch of this check in Studio and open a document that has track changes and lots of comments.

Go to

Tool>Options>FileTypes

Then choose the version of word you want, for example

Microsoft Word 2007>Other Settings

Then check the option called;

Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Just used your workaround Sep 1, 2009

Thanks "farpung" for posting your workaround - I just used it and saved myself some time. The other solutions offered did not work in my case.

I was looking at half a day of dithering over it. Much obliged.

Stephanie

Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many thanks Feb 22, 2010

...to farpung and difool23, as I had this problem today and either option worked for me. Hopefully I won't have this problem again!

KarstenB
Germany
English to German
Save docx with Word 2003 Apr 3, 2010

Thank you to farpung from me as well.
Although I only have Word 2003 I was able to save in 2007-docx format as I had installed the MS Compatibility Pack before:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

Pierre Mikaël Ligavan
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Great Help, Thanks Marie-Claude :) Oct 6, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Hope this helps!

Egor Armianinov
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 09:18
English to Russian
Works! Nov 19, 2012

Thanks for the info!! It really works!! You have saved me!

Sawal  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 03:18
English to French
You saved me Nov 20, 2013

farpung wrote:

After trying all suggestions (except the OpenOffice one) above, I found a simple solution. I am working with Word 2003. I simply saved the file as a Word 2007 file (you have to have installed the free conversion add-on from Microsoft first). The"Convert to translatable format" task sat at 50% for so long I nearly cancelled it, but in the end, everything went fine!icon_smile.gif
I note that SDL-Trados recomment Word 2007, so maybe its time to update to that as well.
Half the day is gone now...:roll: Let the real work begin!

Thank you. I just spent 3 hours trying every solution that I came across until i read yours.

Worked like a charm on Trados 2014

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 refuses to process Word document with tracked changes

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search