Multiterm Extract 2009: Experiences?
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:41
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2009

I bought MultiTerm 2007 Extract but hardly every used it and never really learned it. But I had the impression that it was time-consuming due to poor integration with MultiTerm 2007 and the necessary editing after extracting terms.

Now I have received the following offer from SDL:

Upgrade from SDL MultiTerm 2007 Extract (with PhraseFinder) (N) to SDL MultiTerm 2009 Extract (with PhraseFinder) (N) €89.00

Are there any early adapters that have started to use Multiterm Extract 2009? Could you please post your impressions? I am mostly interested in:

1) Integration with MultiTerm 2009

2) Algorithm for extracting terms - has it improved over the 2007 version?

3) Does extracting terms from a TM in MultiTerm 2009 Extract give you more precise results than extracting terms by "Generate Autosuggest Dictionary" in Trados Studio 2009? If not, does Extract 2009 have any other features that are valuable additions to T2009?

[Edited at 2009-07-11 13:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
No changes seen Jul 11, 2009

I have not seen any changes in the product's behaviour. I still find it useful for major projects, but there are some steps to go through. It still exports in txt format only - at least I could not find any tmx export option. That implies that you need to generate an empty TM in Workbench, import the tx file, and then open this TM in Trados Studio. You will usually want to set a penalty on this TM and not have the update flag on it.
I haven't checked but it probably supports the new MT termbase format if you want to define a termbase containing stop words.
Output from MT Extract is more flexible to use in Studio than in Workbench due to the multi TM scheme.

Kim

[Edited at 2009-07-11 12:10 GMT]

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why Translation Memory? Jul 11, 2009

kimjasper wrote:

That implies that you need to generate an empty TM in Workbench, import the tx file, and then open this TM in Trados Studio. You will usually want to set a penalty on this TM and not have the update flag on it.

Kim

[Edited at 2009-07-11 12:10 GMT]

Thanks for your input, Kim!

Excuse me for my ignorance, but why would you want to export the result from Multiterm Extract to a Translation Memory? Isn't the whole purpose to build a TermBase, not a TM?

And have you been able to run any comparisons between "Generate Autosuggest Dictionary" in Trados Studio 2009 and MultiTerm 2009 Extract?

Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mixing things up Jul 11, 2009

Sorry for mixing things up. It is Saturday after all I was thinking of Winalign. My statements about MT Extract are still valid: I have not seen any change in behaviour. I would still expect it to accept MT termbases in the new MT format. Forget the statement about TMs.

Sorry for the confusion

Kim

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about Generate Autosuggest Dictionary? Jul 11, 2009

kimjasper wrote:

My statements about MT Extract are still valid: I have not seen any change in behaviour. I would still expect it to accept MT termbases in the new MT format.

So you have upgraded SDL MultiTerm 2007 Extract to SDL MultiTerm 2009 Extract (as I am sure you know, it's a separate product and needs a separate upgrade - se above) and have not noticed any changes yet?

What do you mean by "accept MT termbases in the new MT format"? SDL MultiTerm Extract extracts terms from files and translation memories, not from MT termbases. Maybe you mean that SDL MultiTerm 2009 Extract can export the results of the extraction to the new MT format?

Are you using the Generate Autosuggest Dictionary feature in Trados Studio 2009? Doesn't it overlap (at least partly) with MultiTerm Extract (see my question in the two posts above)?

[Edited at 2009-07-11 13:47 GMT]

Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
the role of termbases Jul 11, 2009

I did indeed follow the install path for the new version.
You can define a termbase in MT extract. When doing the extract, MT Extract skips the terms already in the termbase. That way you can use MT Extract to supplement an already existing termbase.

Yes, in practice it overlaps to some extent with Autosuggest. These are the differences I have identified:
* Autosuggest is an automatic process, i.e. it is much easier to use
* Autosuggest can only be used on large TMs (>=20,000 TUs as I recall it)
* Autosuggest uses an existing TM, not new untranslated documents. If you want to add terms from a new project, and these terms do not exist in the TM, Autosuggest cannot help.
* MT Extract is more stringent. you can feed a termbase with the output which means that you can leverage the output in later projects as well. If term consistency is very important, I would recommend MT Extract rather than Autosuggest. That being said, if you actually use your TM to translate the MT Extract output, you can utilize Autosuggest for that.

Kim

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your clarifications Jul 11, 2009

Now I have a much better picture of the differences between MT Extract and Autosuggest.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Extract 2009: Experiences?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search