vera panno  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:55
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2009

Hi,
I was given a part of a translation in tagEditor that was divided among several translators.
I was told that in order to count the total translated words I would have to do the analysis of the original file and the translated file and then the difference between the two files.
The problem is that I don't know how to count the number of words I translated and therefore see how much my remuneration for the translation must be.
My question is: when a translation is divi
... See more
Hi,
I was given a part of a translation in tagEditor that was divided among several translators.
I was told that in order to count the total translated words I would have to do the analysis of the original file and the translated file and then the difference between the two files.
The problem is that I don't know how to count the number of words I translated and therefore see how much my remuneration for the translation must be.
My question is: when a translation is divided among several translators how can I see the amount of words I translated and then establish the exact remuneration?

I hope my explanation has been clear and somebody can help me.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
This might help Jul 12, 2009

1. Open the original TTX file you were sent with the other translator's work. (You should have it on your email's inbox.)

2. At the bottom of the TagEditor window, click on the target preview mode tab (the last one at the right side).

3. Here, you'll view the other translator's text. Select the text with your cursor and Copy and Paste to a Word file. Now, COUNT WORDS (Tools > Word count). Write down the word count.

4. Close all.
<
... See more
1. Open the original TTX file you were sent with the other translator's work. (You should have it on your email's inbox.)

2. At the bottom of the TagEditor window, click on the target preview mode tab (the last one at the right side).

3. Here, you'll view the other translator's text. Select the text with your cursor and Copy and Paste to a Word file. Now, COUNT WORDS (Tools > Word count). Write down the word count.

4. Close all.

5. Open the TTX file where you added (or did) your translation.

6. Click on the preview mode tab.

7. You'll view the COMPLETE translation. Repeat Step 3, and subtract the other translator's text. The result is your translation.

Hope this is clear enough.

Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:55
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
have a look at the analyse funtion in twb Jul 12, 2009

if you select the two ttx files (before your work and after), analyse will give a clear and probably generally acceptable picture of the situation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count the amount of words translated with TagEditor

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »