Is there a way to "trick" Studio into having several translations of the same segment?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:25
Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently Studio can't process certain ttx (xml) files, even with the ini file, at least the document I'm working on. But since Studio has better QA capabilities than TagEditor, I decided to keep using Studio and use the TM to translate the ttx file in TagEditor (which works perfectly, unlike Studio).

The problem is that many segments have several translations ('OK' has 4), depending on the context, and I've left them either as locked or 'Not traslated' in Studio, and deleted them from the TM so I can use that TM with TagEditor, and translate just those segments without a match.

I'm using notepad to write down the segments I need to retranslate in TagEditoricon_frown.gif
So my question is, does anybody know if there's a way to trick Studio into adding multiple translations for the same source?

julienwp
France
Local time: 03:25
English to French
Ctrl+Shift+U Jul 13, 2009

Hi Claudia!

Simply use Ctrl+Shift+U (or Translation > Add as New Translation).

Funny thing is I've been looking for the opposite featureicon_wink.gif

Regards

DanielBrockmann
Local time: 03:25
Use the Add As New Translations command Jul 13, 2009

Hi Claudia,

yes this is possible. Whenever you'd like to add a new translation for the same source in SDL Trados Studio, select the command Add As New Translation from the Translation menu (rather than just confirming the changed translation, which will overwrite the previous translation). This will save the new translation as a separate translation unit in the TM, along with its context (document location, previous segment and translation) for disambiguation purposes.

Next time you translate the same segment again, two alternatives will be offered. Studio will sort these multiple translations depending on context and will offer the most suitable match first. For instance, if the context of the segment is the same as before, you will get a context match as preferred match and a 100% match as alternative. BTW this is one of the reasons we have added the context match category to Studio, it works like a bonus for a 100% match in such situations.

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Brockmann
Senior Product Manager
SDL TRADOS Technologies

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:25
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add As New Translations Jul 13, 2009

Thank you both!

I hadn't t the slightest idea about that command. I feel like the dumbest person on Earth. Sorry about your issue with dupe TUs Julien, the latest hotfix did it for me, at least so far it's still working fine.

Yevgeniy Tamarchenko
Local time: 04:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Why no option to add a new TU automatically if fields differ?... May 10, 2010

Dear Daniel,

In TW 2007 we had flexible options to merge translation units if fileds differ or add as new translation (even if only text fileds differ).

Where are these options now? If SDL removed them, why?

Best regards,

Yevgeniy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to "trick" Studio into having several translations of the same segment?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search