Trados changing word order in sentences
Thread poster: Miranda Drew

Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:52
Italian to English
Jul 13, 2009

I have never seen this problem with Trados and Word before. Word 2003, Trados 6.5. I open the segment and the words in the original sentence get all switched around. Example - original sentence: "The company was founded in 2000." I open the segment, and in the source box I get "company was founded the 2000. in".

I tried to use Tag Editor but it wouldn't open the word document. I assume there's something about the Word document that Trados doesn't like, but I can't figure out what. Has anyone seen this kind of strange error?

I've already tried opening the document, copying the text and pasting it into a new document, but it gives me the same problem. It does this on some segments, but not all of them.
Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change the language Jul 13, 2009

Yes, I have seen this happening. Apparently this is caused by a wrong language selection in the source text. Go back to your source document, select it all and (in MS Word) use Tools > Language to select the right source language. You might notice that the text causing you trouble could have an odd language, like Arabic, for instance.

Once you change the source text's language to its real language, the problem might disappear. Good luck!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Substitutions Jul 13, 2009

Sounds like the measurements substitution feature might be acting up and thinks this is a measurement, like the 2,000th inch or something.

Try disabling all substitutions in Translation Memory Options -> Substitution Localisation EXCEPT "Numbers" (that one works flawlessly in most cases). You may have to restart Workbench & TagEditor afterwards for this to work.

HTH,

Benjamin

Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
seems to be working Jul 14, 2009

THank you both. I tried both suggestions and for the moment it seems to be working. Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changing word order in sentences

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search