How to get WinAlign files into SDL Studio memory
Thread poster: Madeleine Guerra
Madeleine Guerra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:57
French to English
Jul 13, 2009

I aligned a file pair and obtained a txt file. How do I import it to an SDL Studio memory?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:57
English to Czech
+ ...
Two options Jul 13, 2009

Hi Madeleine,
you can either:
1. Export the language pair as TMX and import it directly into Studio
or
2. Import the TXT into Workbench and update the TWB file for Studio.

Madeleine Guerra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:57
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will I lose existing data in the memory file? Jul 13, 2009

Thanks Stanislav,

I used the Workbench solution and when I came to bring the files into Studio, the system asked whether I wanted to replace the memory file I had previously established. It was ok in this particular case because I had not added any segments since the transfer of the main memory file to the Studio format. However, in future, I may want to align files and *add* the segments to a Studio memory file. Will I lose existing memory data if I use the workbench solution that apparently wants to *replace* an existing memory file?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Different process in future Jul 15, 2009

Hi Madeleine,
if you want to update your existing Studio TM with new segments, I strongly advise that you:
1) Import your WinAlign project into Workbench
2) Export this TM from Workbench into TMX
3) Open your existing TM (to be updated) in Studio and import the TMX into it.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No tmx export option Dec 9, 2009

I've been trying to figure out how to skip the step of going through Workbench.

WinAlign doesn't give me an option to export the File Pair to tmx, only to txt. Am I missing something?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Missing indeed Dec 9, 2009

Hi Nora,
in the "New WinAlign Project" dialog (the one where you create a new alignment project) click on the "Export" tab and in the group field Format select the "Translation Memory Exchange Format" radio button. That should be working.

Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 03:57
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...
Editing WinAlign files in Studio Dec 3, 2010

Is it possible to work with the WinAlign files in the Studio Editor window?

(with access to concordance, etc)

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
WinAlign export is meant to be imported in the TM Dec 5, 2010

Peter Ross wrote:

Is it possible to work with the WinAlign files in the Studio Editor window?

(with access to concordance, etc)

The alignment results you export from WinAlign are meant to be imported into a TM in Studio, so that you have these TUs in your translation memory.

The Editor on the other hand is used to translate your documents. The WinAlign results are not a document, so you cannot view the aligned segments in the Editor.

You can however do this in the TM Editor in the view 'Translation Memories'.

Walter

Vietnam
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...
Why go from winalign to sdlxliff Dec 6, 2010

Thanks Walter

I had gathered by now that the most common use for WinAlign is TM oriented.

My initial need is different. I want to import partially completed translations (book length ones) into Studio 9 Editor so I can check, correct and complete them with all the benefits and tools of the new Editor environment. The TM window isn't made for this.

It doesn't seem it should be too complicated to convert as set of parallel tables in one of Studio's file formats into a set of parallel tables in another.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
In which format do you have the translations? Dec 6, 2010

How did you translate the "partially completed translations"? Do you have a bilingual doc? If you did this in Tag Editor, you can open the TTX in Studio and complete the work.

If you have two separate documents, import the WinAlign export into a 2009 TM, then open the source file in Studio and complete the translation.

Walter

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
one idea Dec 6, 2010

Peter Ross wrote:

I want to import partially completed translations (book length ones) into Studio 9 Editor so I can check, correct and complete them with all the benefits and tools of the new Editor environment. The TM window isn't made for this.

So, somebody translated long texts without a CAT and you essentially want to revise these translations in Studio, as if they had been translated in Studio?

Here's a solution: use my aligner to autoalign the texts and generate a TMX. Import that TMX to a Studio memory. Grab the source language column from the xls generated by the aligner, which has the same segmentation as the TMX. Copy-paste it to Word and feed it to Studio as a translatable file and autotranslate it with the TM. You should get nearly all 100% hits, especially if you can convince Studio not to screw with the segmentation.
Perhaps there is an easier way of generating an sdlxliff out of a table, but I can't think of one.
Of course you could also do the alignment with winalign, but it would take the better part of a decade as it has no autoaligner, and it would be tougher to extract the source text.

Vietnam
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...
Rainbow converts Trados txt to xliff Dec 7, 2010

Thanks to you both!

I'm the somebody who's been living in the dark ages translating long texts without CAT. I don't want to go back.

I got as far as Winaligning source and target texts (I'll look at my aligner later cause there are issues as you say) and exporting bilingual txt files and tmx. Since last post I too thought of FarkasAndras solution of importing the tmx and reimporting the source file, but wasn't sure of the implications of committing bulk translation to memory without checking for consistency first.

Luckily, I've found another solution. With Okapi tools program Rainbow, you can work with a Trados bilingual text file (it has a setting specifically for Trados txt) and "extract" it to an xliff file which you can open and work on in the Studio 9 Editor. I tried with just a 10 line file and it worked fine.

So here I go...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get WinAlign files into SDL Studio memory

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search