Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Unable to produce a Word document from Studio
Thread poster: Madeleine Guerra

Madeleine Guerra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:13
French to English
Jul 13, 2009

When trying to create a target file, I get the error message "An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word Format". It's happened before and closing Studio and Word or rebooting the computer had done the trick but today, nothing works. Am I doing something to create this problem or is it a bug in the software?

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 14

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:13
Spanish
+ ...
Maybe Jul 13, 2009

Somebody posted a work-around for ttx files. It might work with Word files. I'm having the same problem with 2 ttx files.

Link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/137998-studio_2009:_list_of_issues_experienced-page4.html#1170937

Like 12

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:13
English
Try using Verify Files Jul 14, 2009

Madeleine Guerra wrote:
"An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word Format".

Hi Madeleine,

This looks as though some of the fields in your source have not been copied over to the target. Can you try running the generic tag verifier?

You will find this in Files - Batch Tasks - Verify Files

Once you have run the task click on Reports from the left hand menu and select the Verify Files report if you have more than one in there. If this is the error you will see the following within the report.

You can click on the link in the report and you will be taken to the segment with the error. Then you can make sure all the tags (fields) are in there before trying to create your target.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Like 12

Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No cigar with the "Verify" function Jul 14, 2009

Thanks Paul,

The report gave: Errors: 0, Warnings: 18.

What do I do now? My document will be due soon and I'm getting a little anxious...

Like 17

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you really verify tags? Jul 14, 2009

Error while writing fields means always, that you've accidentaly deleted a field tag.
Or maybe you did modify the Word document in the meantime?
If you take a copy of your Word document, save it elswhere and open with Studio, are you able to save it as target BEFORE it is translated? If not, then the problem is Word/Studio, but if yes the problem is indeed within the translation process.

Like 11

Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck with converting back to Word Jul 14, 2009

Thank you Jerzy,

I tried your suggestion. I saved the document elsewhere, opened it with Studio. The first line was automatically translated but I went no further and tried to save the target. It gave me the same original error message "An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format.

Any other suggestions?

Like 9

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Seems like would the Word file be problematic Jul 14, 2009

Did you use a function of not translating particlar parts of the document, based of a certain style?
If not, please try to save the source document as Word 2007, then close Word, open it again and reopen the Word 2007 document and save it back as 2003. Then check the behaviour of this one.

Like 18

Eberhard Nietzer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
German-English: Same Problem Jul 24, 2009

Hi,
I have purchased the studio yesterday as an upgrade from 2007 freelance and have activated my license. Now I am experiencing the very same problem. If there is no solution to it, the new studio is useless for me. Can anybody help?
Creating a source file is no problem, however.
Thanks,
Eberhard

Like 9

Scott Saylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
Japanese to English
Me too Oct 11, 2009

I cant preview the source document because it keeps saying "An error occurred while converting fields back to microsoft word document." I verified the document, went back and painfully corrected all the warnings that had anything to do with fields & tags of any kind, and it still won't work. This is from English to Japanese (if that helps you think of a solution). Anyway, I really need to preview this! Please help.

Like 13

Angela Meissner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Same problem Oct 15, 2009

Had the same problem yesterday. Tried re-saving the Word 2007 file as Word 2003-file, rtf-file - no chance. If I click on the red mark, it says something like "this message doesn't belong to any segment in the file".

Only saving the file as unformatted *.txt and working that file in Studio would let me create a target document. Not really t h e way to make your clients happy (not to mention the translator!).

BTW: I verified the document before trying to create the Word-file. Nothing wrong according to Studio verfication.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-15 14:02 GMT]

Like 9

PMz
Tag verification Oct 15, 2009

Madeleine Guerra wrote:

Thanks Paul,

The report gave: Errors: 0, Warnings: 18.

What do I do now? My document will be due soon and I'm getting a little anxious...

Hi,
by default, the tag verification reports everything as warnings, so please check if any of warnings reports missing tags.
You can configure Tag Verification for each file type differently, just go to Tools\Options\File Types and pick the Tag Verification node under file type you would like to configure.
Hope this helps

Like 14

Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem converting Studio file back to Word Oct 15, 2009

Since I first posted this problem, I have found the following solutions:

1) when I see tags in the source document, I copy the source into the target (Contr-Ins) and translate around the tags. Not a sexy way of doing it, but I no longer have a problem converting back to Word

2) I don't use the Preview function anymore. I found that it mucks things up. Now, I translate my whole document, "Save Target as" and look over my final product. I then input and save any significant changes in the bil file. Again, probably not the most techy work-around, but I have no patience for computer stuff.

I'm hoping that the latest update (received notification today) resolves these problems.

Like 16

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
I had about the same problem yesterday. Oct 17, 2009

On Paul's advice, I pressed F8, got a list of tag errors and corrected all except those having to do with spaces. Problem gone!

Maybe there should be a plain-English error message for this kind of thing:

Like 11

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
German to English
Tag error Nov 15, 2009

It was definitiely this that caused my problem with saving the target as a Word doc today. Thanks to everyone on here for the advice. I did the same as Madeleine and copied the phrase over from the source and translated round the tags. It worked first time.

Like 11

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
Member (2009)
French to English
Is there a simple way of resolving this or do I have to spend time messing around with tags? Jan 3, 2010

Hello,
I am a bit of a newcomer to Trados and although I am very happy with Studio 2009 (2007 did not seem very user-friendly) I am completely gob-smacked by this problem. I am basically unable to create my target document unless I spend quite a significant amount of time fiddling about with "tags". Surely it is up to me as a user to decide to ignore or change the tag order?
I also agree with one of the posters that plain-English warning signs would save us a lot of time. I find that the makers of Trados software seem to assume that translators love IT as much as they do. If I spend more time deciphering warnings then actually translating then I'm not sure this was a very useful purchase.
Is there a simple way of resolving this problem that does not involve an advanced university degree in tag management?

Like 8

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to produce a Word document from Studio

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search