Trados Suite 2009 crashing repeatedly
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:04
French to English
Jul 15, 2009

Hello,

I'm new to Trados, but used Studio 2009 for a few days last week without too many difficulties.

Today, however, Studio has crashed about 10 times for no apparent reason, whilst working on three different simple Word documents. As you can imagine, it's driving me mad - fortunately, I have generous deadlines on this work, otherwise I would have had to give up on Studio.

Basically, the application just stops responding whilst I'm typing a segment, and I have no alternative but to close it down. When I reopen Studio, it's as though the document had never been there - I have to put the languages in and select the TM all over again, which takes time. Fortunately, the translation is stored in the TM (otherwise I think I'd have probably thrown the whole thing out of the window by now!).

My PC is above the Trados minimum and recommended specs, and is less than a year old. The only other programmes running at the same time are a bilingual dictionary plus MS Office (with Wordfast classic in Word). I ran the latest update (sorry, can't remember the proper name) for studio last week.

Has anyone had the same issue? Better still, has anyone solved the issue?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer,

Caroline

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
http://www.proz.com/topic/137998 Jul 15, 2009

Hello Caroline,

you can read through this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/137998

The list of issues is pretty long, but SDL has already addressed a few via hotfix and some more will be fixed (we all hope) with the SP1

Giuliana

Control S Jul 15, 2009

The software is new, and despite a patch on the SDL website, is still rather unstable. If you can get through an entire workday with it only crashing 10 times, you are in pretty good shape. Everybody who has this software is looking forward to the first Service Pack. You can mitigate, somewhat, the problem by hitting control-S. I do this every time I enter a sentence that I have put some thought into in order not to lose too many minutes work when the thing locks up. There are many parts of the interface which do not respond to a single mouse click in the way that they are supposed to. It has also been widely reported on this forum that cutting/pasting is buggy. Tread carefully and Save Save Save.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well, at least I'm not the only one Jul 15, 2009

It's good to know that I'm not alone with this! However, unfortunately this problem makes it impossible for me to use the software professionally on anything but the most basic projects. If I had a tighter deadline, the time I'm wasting reopening the files would have been critical (10 crashes in about one and a half hours, a couple of minutes each time to close down Trados and reopen means a lot of time lost!). Also, as a new user, I really am only using the most basic functions of the software at the moment.

I downloaded the hotfixes last week - does anyone have an idea of when we can expect SP1?

Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very same issues Jul 15, 2009

I've simply gone back to using good, old and reliable Trados Workbench 8 for now. The hotfixes do not address the constant freezing/carshing issues (which I experience on both my computers). As suggested, control + s is great to keep from redoing very much of your work, and I had been doing that every half paragraph, or so, until I gave up on it all together. Conceptually, Studio 2009 is true progress, and I look forward to being able to use its "promising" features. In practice, though, it proved to be the most annoying, unstable and poorly tested release I can ever remember Trados having made (and I've been using it since its cave-age DOS version which, by the way, worked amazingly well).

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I believe that many of the crashes can be avoided by not typing too fast Jul 15, 2009

I have noticed that very careful and steady typing avoids a crash, whereas even speeding up on a couple of words, where you know what to write, immediately causes a crash.

Yes, and "Control S" after every sentence - I agree there.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's interesting - I think that might be what's happening Jul 16, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I have noticed that very careful and steady typing avoids a crash, whereas even speeding up on a couple of words, where you know what to write, immediately causes a crash.

Yes, and "Control S" after every sentence - I agree there.

Thanks Astrid, now you say that I get the impression that it might be when I type quickly that problems happen. The documents that I was translating yesterday were quite short and simple, and I had lots of problems. However, the document I translated with Studio quite successfully last week was a lot longer and more complicated, so I probably wasn't going as quickly.

I'll try to slow down a bit today and see what happens. (Crazy, but there we are!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Suite 2009 crashing repeatedly

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search