katerina turevich  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:22
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2009

Hello colleagues,

At the moment I only have access to a Trados demo version, but I have to deliver a job. The translation memory is too large to be opened in Workbench, is there a way around it?
I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Be more specific Jul 16, 2009

What is it you actually want to do?

Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it possible to divide it? Jul 16, 2009

The problem is that I got a TM I can't open for the job at hand. What does one do in a situation like this? I am too far away now to support this system. But the job does have to be delivered. And it's urgent. Is there maybe a way to split the TM file? I realize I couldn't have two separate parts of one single TM running at the same time, but perhaps I can do something at editing stage? or any other ideas?

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Is your licence valid? Jul 16, 2009

Do you own a valid Trados licence, to begin with? You mention a dongle in the title of your topic, but you haven't refered to it in your messages. Trados will run in demo mode if you don't own a licence or if it doesn't recognises your licence file/dongle/activation code.

Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
demo version Jul 16, 2009

No, I don't have the info, and i can't get to the system that has everything stored . So I dowloaded the demo version. That's all I got for the moment. Should I let them know I can't do the job? Is it really impossible?
I mentioned dongle, because that's exactly what comes up in workbench when i open the file. But this is a laptop, and the only one in the wilderness. No external support whatsoever possible.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I'm with Kevin on this Jul 16, 2009

What is it you actually want to do?

If I understood you well: you received a Trados job from a client, with a large TM to do the job. You don't have Trados, so you downloaded the demo from the Web. You tried to open the TM, but you get an error about a dongle. And you're not working on your usual PC. Is this correct?

- What version of Trados are you trying to use?
- Do you actually own a Trados licence? Your answer wasn't clear about this.

I'm sorry if I can't help you further but your situation is still a bit confused to me...

Netherlands
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody, Jul 16, 2009

I finally got the activation complete. Marie-Claude, you understanding of the situation was quite right. I own a Freelance 2007 but on another computer, and getting it activated here posed, I thought, more of a problem, than just downloading a demo. Now, that I got the project going, I wander what will I do should the same happen again. Working away from home, from my desk is quite a common occurence with me. But anyway, thanks for your responses.

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:22
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Keep a full copy of Trados on your laptop Jul 16, 2009

Hi Katharina,
You are entitled to run two copies of Trados under the same license. It makes sense to install the other copy on your laptop using the same activation code. You really don't have to mess with the demo when you work away from home. It's also a good idea to keep a spare version of Trados running, in case one computer crashes at a critical time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Demo version too small for the memory, And a dongle

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search