Trados: How do I get it to convert from English number format to Norwegian?
Thread poster: absciarretta

absciarretta  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:00
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2009

The problem: Numbers in English has '.' as comma instead of ',' in Norwegian. I have a large manual where several of the numbers do not even show up as editable so I can't change them from 3.5 to 3,5 for instance. Also, 3,000 in English is merely 3000 in Norwegian.

How do I get Trados to recognize my Windows default for numbers so that all the numbers are converted to the Norwegian standard?

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:00
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Give the Help a chance :) Jul 16, 2009

Read up the Workbench help on substitutions. You'll need to set number substitutions in two places (Setup and Options). Once you're done, you'll discover that it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. And it never does with standalone numbers, as Trados doesn't segment those. You'll need to use search and replace in such cases. This excellent article will help you (in Word): http://accurapid.com/journal/15msw.htm

absciarretta  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:00
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 16, 2009

I hope they improve this in later versions. I have had to do it in Word before and it is NOT fun when you have a huge document.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Turn protection off Jul 17, 2009

In Tageditor you can turn the protection of the text off. After that you can the text even if it's unsegmented while you are translating or even by using search and replace (ctrl-H) (but be very careful if dots and comma's are used for other things) or you can often expand segments so they include numbers that are otherwise left alone and unsegmented.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
NumSep Jul 17, 2009

If the manual is in MS Word format, you might want to give my NumSep macro a spin.
It allows you to easily change all number formats in a highlighted range or in the entire document. Usage is at own risk but I've received only positive reports so far.

You can download it here:
http://downloads.tectranslate.com/tools/numsep.zip

If you're going to try it, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give!

HTH,

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: How do I get it to convert from English number format to Norwegian?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search