Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2009

I feel compelled to raise this issue again, since there seems to be no logic about it.

I am referring to termbase recognition in Studio.

At an online support session I found out that term recognition is supposed to be more promising if the folder used for the termbases is as near to "C:" as possible, i.e. the more layers down it is from there, the less the chance of the termbases being recognised. In fact, moving some termbases to a folder straight after "C:", called "Termbases", does help to a certain extent, in that it enabled some termbases to be recognised.

However, other termbases simply refuse to be recognised, and there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Following the same logic, however, I have experimented with the naming of my termbases, eventually giving them single-word names that are as short as possible. However, this does not help, and those termbases which are recognised do, in some cases, have longer names.

I have spent a lot of time creating new termbases, exporting, importing, all to no avail. Also, all these excess termbases, containing the same terminology, are using up a lot of extra space on my computer, since even an empty termbase is over 3 MB.

I have tried, as suggested by the support engineer, deleting the four associated fuzzy files, and allowing them to be recreated when opening the termbase again. As far as I understood, the termbases may start to be recognised if the new fuzzy files consist of more kilobytes than the previous ones. However, I cannot get bigger fuzzy files. The termbases that are being recognised do, indeed, have larger fuzzy files, but I do not know how they get like that, or how to increase the size of the fuzzy files. Reorganising the termbases does not do the trick either.

In desperation, I have tried importing the contents of termbases that refuse to be recognised into a termbase that is recognised. On one occasion this worked, on another occasion it also stopped the previously recognised termbase from being recognised any more. However, there is no pattern: sometimes one thing, sometimes another.

Then there is the issue of this kind of inbetween list of termbases. That is, in Multiterm you open up the termbases of interest into a list, but do not tick the boxes for them to be actually opened in Multiterm. I have been experimenting, trying to find out the significance of this no-man's-land list. At one point it appeared that the termbases should be in this list in order to be recognised. However, on another occasion, putting them in this list did not help to get them recognised.

I have also tried previous suggestions, e.g. of using programs to uninstall all the leftovers of previous Trados installations, and then doing a clean install. This has had no effect on the problem either.

This has really put an end to my highly organised system of termbases that I used to have, prior to Studio. For example, I normally add new terms as I work, but now I cannot do that, because there is no incentive to do so if there is no guarantee that the termbase into which I put the terms will be recognised for the next project. Also, I absolutely cannot put terms into those termbases which are not being recognised anyway. Therefore, I can no longer build up termbases, and I translate only using those terms that happen to be already in those few termbases that happen to be recognised for that particular project or on that particular day. Other terms that I cannot remember I have to look up in Multiterm in the manner of looking up terms in a conventional paper dictionary, and subsequently type them into my translation.

The whole mess of termbase recognition (or lack of it) in Studio totally removes the incentive for me to continue to be interested in building up termbases and therefore also my business. My business has up to now been very highly focused on terminology, and now it has had the ground pulled from underneath it.

I do not think there is anything left that can be suggested, i.e. along the lines of what can be done by the software user - so I guess it is over to the programmers and engineers at SDL now. Please, SDL, do something about your term recognition technology. That is, after all, supposed to be one of the fundamental features of translation software - as you are fond of mentioning in your advertising literature.

Astrid

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
where is a "SDL MultiTerm 2009 migration guide"? Jul 19, 2009

I have not gotten as far as Elke on my migration trekk. I can use the converted versions - so far so good - but this applies to the freelance 2007 and is open for discussion, when I convert the TMs as well and start using 2009.

What makes me vince, is the old mtw names still used and (even more) the fact that renaming the mdb files did not make any impression on the software (?). The new names were used - probably during the active session only - but are forgotten by now. Next I will delete them all - and it will still work!?

Which brings me to the subject: terminology deserves the same carefull treatment as the TMs, so some sort of documentation on moving the stuff up would be welcome. I am sure also, it's been all described and discussed somewhere but (for instance) the one entry I could find fast (in talisma: API: Breaking Changes in SDL MultiTerm 2009) describes my problem but not the solution the product is offering.

A Migration guide would thus be very welcome.

[EDIT] Why fix what's not broken, i.e. change names? Well, "EN SL cars" is FAR better than "mtw_03" and "DE EN SL Pharma" obviates the need to remember mtw_11.

Were it only mtw_00 to say mtw_10, oh well, but my 50+ cries for a better way of doing it.

[Edited at 2009-07-19 10:48 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
and the beat goes on... Jul 19, 2009

... or the "mxw saga, next item":

I decided to give the status another prod and ask MultiTerm 2009 to include the Multiterm library called "EN SL DE FR cars".

Guess what? It's been included under the running number 21. So now I have an even longer list of available MultiTerm files, which looks like this:

It's as perfect as a phonebook, sorted and printed by the phone numbers.

PS: MultiTerm: 8.0.490.0 version
PPS: it's mxw files (and not mtw)

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further interesting problems concerning termbase recognition Jul 19, 2009

The TU freezes. It is not possible to continue typing in it any more. The only way out of the problem is to close the file and open it up again. Since this is the solution to the problem, this is the action that you carry out.

Upon opening up the file again a message flashes onto the screen: "XXXX termbase cannot be connected, therefore XXX termbase will not be used for this project" - or something of the kind.

What is interesting about this message is that you only recently added that termbase to the project, and - until this happened - it was also recognised.

Therefore you go to the project settings, All languages, Termbases, and try to add it again, however it is already there - with a green tick beside it, no less (in fact, just like the termbases that stubbornly refuse to be recognised, which also bear a green tick and not a red cross). You therefore remove it, and try to add it again. You get as far as "Browse"... browse.... browse...... you can click on "Browse" as often as you like, but it only shows you an empty white box, which does not contain any termbases that may be selected to be added.

Interesting, this Studio software and its term recognition intricacies. I'd be pleased to receive further instructions for efficient use, however.

Astrid

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Could you solve the mentioned problems? Jun 30, 2010

The issues were posted almost a year ago.

I am interested because I am still working with Trados 2007 Suite, but for some years (maybe since I upgraded from Trados 6.5?) I haven't been able to work with Multiterm (I have a pc with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Vista, both Office 2007).

I definitely DON'T want to upgrade to this Studio 2009 thing. Also, although having been trying for the last 3 weeks, surching for all kind of solutions or hints everywhere, I been able to get Multiterm working - and Trados support ignores clients, unless you pay for their it!

I can create termbases (which I give a logic name like Vito describes) and they are not displayed in Word (under Multiterm -> termbases). Only sample is there. But the termbases I created get suspiecious names like those Vito gets, too.

I'm kind of getting tired...

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm "logic" Jul 1, 2010

Constance Mannshardt wrote:

I can create termbases (which I give a logic name like Vito describes) and they are not displayed in Word (under Multiterm -> termbases). Only sample is there.

It's a standard Multiterm 2007 stupid behaviour.
Pasting my answer from another thread:

Multiterm 2007 is designed in a clumsy way which makes impossible to use it in a standard out of the box Windows Vista/7 configuration.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112742-i_cannot_open_multiterm_2007_database_in_word_2007.html

But the termbases I created get suspiecious names like those Vito gets, too.

It's by design.
You're simply incompatible with the Multiterm logic icon_smile.gif

I'm kind of getting tired...

I got tired many years ago and I switched to DVX.
Now, I recommend rather memoQ but almost all CAT tools do better than Multiterm.
Maybe their concepts are not developped than in Multiterm but at least the terminology management works smoothly.

Cheers
GG

Optiproz Pri (X)
English
KB article Jul 1, 2010

Hi Constance

Maybe this article helps to clarify the problem?
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1814&p=1

It was a help for me tooicon_smile.gif

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-01 12:55 GMT]

pritha  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:14
French to English
+ ...
Cannot read termbase leads to Failed to load Project from location, could not find part of the path Sep 24, 2010

I recently learned how to use Multi Term Extract and have been updating my Termbases through it.

I also upgraded two Trados 2007 TMs to Trados 2009.

I am a very new user, only about 4 months old, of which one entire month was spent by me and my dealer in successful installation only. After repeated appeals to SDL Support, I received a call from London and found a solution to my worries. But, the very next day my system crashed and the circle never seems to end.

I persevered, nevertheless and when my translations were loaded into Trados 2009, I ventured to Multi Term Extract and catastrophy struck once again. Now, I can't open any project in Trados 2009 (since this is the latest version and is easier to use, I have been using only this and not Trados 2007 in which I created only two projects whose TM's I have already upgraded to T'09).

First, I get the message that "the termbase could not be connected so term recognition cannot use this termbase" and once I click OK on these, I see the message "Failed to load Project from location... Could not find a part of the path", and the opening file vanishes and all I can see is the Projects View.

Despite reading multiple ways to address the issue have not manged to resolve it yet, and simply wanted to add to the problem already mentioned in this forum.

Suggestions are of course, more than welcomeicon_biggrin.gif and not something one can do without, especially when it comes to Trados.

[Modifié le 2010-09-24 10:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The strange problem of (lack of) termbase recognition

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search