Can't create translation
Thread poster: Ángel Guillén
Ángel Guillén
Ángel Guillén  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
Jul 21, 2009

I am definitely giving up with Studio. I have just finished a 3000-word translation and when I try to Finish the project and create teh translation I get this error: "Mismatch with source detected. Unable to create translation".

Any idea? pleeease!!!

Angel

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Source changed? Jul 21, 2009

Was the source file changed in any way during translation?

What type of file was it? (Word, Excel, etc.)

Ángel Guillén
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
no change Jul 21, 2009

I didn't touch the source (just to make some copy paste),.

It is a power Point file!

Angel

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
Talisma Jul 21, 2009

There's an article on the KB about a similar bug in TagEditor, when translating a PPT (PowerPoint 2003) file. Seems to be a bug in the filter. The article mentions this is/was going to be fixed in the future, but I guess it wasn't fixed with the release of Studio...

There's a workaround (for TagEditor at least):

- Open the file in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Go to View > Master > Slide Master to choo
... See more
There's an article on the KB about a similar bug in TagEditor, when translating a PPT (PowerPoint 2003) file. Seems to be a bug in the filter. The article mentions this is/was going to be fixed in the future, but I guess it wasn't fixed with the release of Studio...

There's a workaround (for TagEditor at least):

- Open the file in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Go to View > Master > Slide Master to choose the the master slide view:
- Look through your master slide(s) for grouped objects, such as self-built enterprise logos.
- Un-group all grouped objects by right-clicking on the object and selecting Grouping > - Ungroup from the shortcut menu.
- Save the Microsoft PowerPoint file.
- Open the newly generated Microsoft PowerPoint file in SDL TagEditor.
- Then click on Save target as to test if the file can now be saved in its target language.

It wouldn't hurt to try it with your file in Studio.
Collapse

Ángel Guillén
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
solved Jul 21, 2009

Hi,

Thanks to Paul Filkin, frok SDL support, I could solve the problem. There is no such problem with PowerPoint files. The only problem was that there were a couple of website addresses which were not marked as tags. But if I pressed Ctrl+, I could see that there was a tag. So I fixed some small errors like this and the file was created.

Thanks again Paul

Angel

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
Good to know! Jul 21, 2009

Glad to hear Paul could help you and that it works now

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I need help with Studio Sep 11, 2009

Hello all

I need urgent help with the same problem.

I have my translation finished (over 50.000 words of a FrameMaker document) and cannot save the target.

I have 10 chapters (files) in my project, which I translated on two different computers. I copied the project (the whole folder with all files) and the TM from my desktop to my notebook and vice versa (not working with packages). Now I have all translated files on my desktop and want to save the targe
... See more
Hello all

I need urgent help with the same problem.

I have my translation finished (over 50.000 words of a FrameMaker document) and cannot save the target.

I have 10 chapters (files) in my project, which I translated on two different computers. I copied the project (the whole folder with all files) and the TM from my desktop to my notebook and vice versa (not working with packages). Now I have all translated files on my desktop and want to save the target.

I get the message: the target document cannot be created because a mismatch between the source document and the target document has been detected.

For one of the files I get the message: the target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the translation Studio document is invalid.

The warnings for tag changes in the status-column (those triangles telling me I have changed the order of tags etc.) in Studio have disappeared in the files I have not worked on on my desktop.

I guess that there is a problem with my copying the files. Because the files I translated (entirely) on my destkop are saved without causing problems. But the files I translated (even partly) on my notebook can not be saved.

Can someone help me? Thank you... I am really desperate...

Leena
Collapse

Gurikusama
Gurikusama
France
English to French
+ ...
Hints Sep 11, 2009

Hi Leena,

I never had this problem but you have probably messed up the tags of your files.

First of all, I would try to replace the original files by a back-up, just in case they have been modified during the translation process.
Then, I would try to save small parts of the translation, to spot more precisely where the problem is.
Also, the "Ctrl+" solution of Angel might help if there are some invisible/corrupted/bizarre tags.

That's all I have
... See more
Hi Leena,

I never had this problem but you have probably messed up the tags of your files.

First of all, I would try to replace the original files by a back-up, just in case they have been modified during the translation process.
Then, I would try to save small parts of the translation, to spot more precisely where the problem is.
Also, the "Ctrl+" solution of Angel might help if there are some invisible/corrupted/bizarre tags.

That's all I have in mind but more help will come from more experienced users if you wait a bit.

Good luck !
Collapse

Ángel Guillén
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
No messages Sep 11, 2009

Hi Leena,

The only tip I can think about: make sure there are no Error messages in any segment. That was one of my points when I got that problem and also make sure there are no tags left.

Angel

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
all messages disappeared... Sep 11, 2009

Hi Angel

this is what I thought the problem was. I have had a look at one of the shorter chapters and aligned all segments to the source. As I said before all the warnings I got during translation on the other computer have disappeared...

Now, I tried to create another project and use the pre-translation function. But this doesn't work either...I get the message that one part of the path to a chapter could not be found...

Could you tell me who this Paul is,
... See more
Hi Angel

this is what I thought the problem was. I have had a look at one of the shorter chapters and aligned all segments to the source. As I said before all the warnings I got during translation on the other computer have disappeared...

Now, I tried to create another project and use the pre-translation function. But this doesn't work either...I get the message that one part of the path to a chapter could not be found...

Could you tell me who this Paul is, the one who helped you?
Do you have a support contract with Trados?

Thanks

Leena
Collapse

Ángel Guillén
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX Sep 11, 2009

What about using the TM and try to open translate it with SDLX? You can use this project TM and open the translation with SDLX.

By the way, I sent you a private message with Paul's email

[Editado a las 2009-09-11 13:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't create translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »