Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:03
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2009

Hi All,

I have a quick question about converting a MultiTerm glossary into a TM.
Basically, is this possible? If so, can it be done for a multiple language glossary?
Anyone had any experience with this in the past?
I have a number of excel files that need to be aligned, and running them through MultiTerm seemed like a quick and efficient way to do this, not sure if its possible though!
Many thanks in advance.
Owen

Direct link Reply with quote

Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:03
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
More details needed Jul 23, 2009

Hi Owen,

please correct me if I am wrong. On one hand you need to convert an already existing MultiTerm into a translation memory. It is possible, but can take a while. Which MultiTerm version are we talking about? It can be done for a multiple language glossary as well.
I did something like that a long time ago. If you want, I can help you with that.

On the other hand, you have Excel files that need to be aligned. I would not recommend MultiTerm for that. It all depends on the content. You can contact me in private and send me a sample of the files, so I can better help you.

Any further detail given here on the forum would be useful as well for others to answer you.

Ciao

Marco Cevoli

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:03
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Converting a MultiTerm Glossary to a TM Jul 23, 2009

Hi Marco,
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, basically I want to avoid using WinAlign as the files are massive and, as I'm sure you've seen, WinAlign doesn't split by cell content in Excel. So everything needs to be manually checked.
I've actually found a way around this now using Trados 2009.
Basically I copied the language pair I wanted to align out of Excel and into Notepad and saved as a .txt file.
I then opened up the text file in Trados 2009 Editor. This opened the file with the EN on the left and the FR on the right. I then selected all and set to Translated. This will hopefully have updated the TM as well, will be checking on that shortly.
Anyway, seems like I've solved the problem (which is essentially my laziness at not wanting to align these files manually
All the best,
Owen

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use Excel's "Concatenate" function Jul 23, 2009

If each pair of cells contains a translation unit (1 source language sentence in one cell and the corresponding translation in the other), then there is a simple solution using the concatenate function of Excel, see http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows.html#451872 (and other posts in the same string).

There is an equally simple solution using Wordfast's PlusTools add-on: you create an alignment table (from two arbitrary files), delete the table's content (keeping only the table structure), add the two-column table from Excel, and then send the whole stuff into the TM.

Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a MultiTerm Glossary to a TM

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search