Is it possible to locate the translation of a particular word or phrase in the memory?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:12
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 25, 2009

As and when we open a new segment, the Trados suggests the matching translations from the memory. If the match value is low, it does not present any translation. Sometimes, I feel that I have already translated a difficult word or phrase in the past but I can't recall the word or phrase coined by me at that time. It lies in the memory but is not shown due to the reason mentioned above.

Is there any method to know the meaning of such word or phrase in the memory as it will save a great deal of time and embarrassment?

Regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:42
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Concordance Jul 25, 2009

Hi Chopra,

Have you tried the Concordance feature of the Translator's Workbench (provided that you are using a Trados version that actually has a Workbench)?

HTH,

Daniel

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Find Jul 25, 2009

Edit/Find the source word (phrase) in the text already translated and see how you translated it then (to enable FIND feature Tools/Options/Protection/Protect document box must be unchecked). After searching, do not forget to check Protect document box again.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but such words or... Jul 25, 2009

phrases are not in the current document being translated by me but these appeared in the text translated by me some months ago. What should be done in such cases?

Regards,

Chopra

István Hirsch wrote:

Edit/Find the source word (phrase) in the text already translated and see how you translated it then (to enable FIND feature Tools/Options/Protection/Protect document box must be unchecked). After searching, do not forget to check Protect document box again.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I have not used concordance. Jul 25, 2009

I am thankful to you for informing that it can be done by using concordance. Is some other method also there?

Regards,

Chopra
Daniel Šebesta wrote:

Hi Chopra,

Have you tried the Concordance feature of the Translator's Workbench (provided that you are using a Trados version that actually has a Workbench)?

HTH,

Daniel

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
If the word (phrase) is in the TM, then... Jul 25, 2009

In Translator’s Workbench choose File/Maintenance. Here, by the use of Find and Replace feature you can find the source phrase and under it, its former translation. Hope this works.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Concordance search Jul 25, 2009

Hi Chopra,
if you believe the translation of a word or phrase might already be stored in the TM, definitely use the Concordance Search. There are three possible ways to choose from:
- highlight the word or phrase in an open segment and press the Concordance Search button in the Trados toolbar; or
- hightlight the word or phrase in TWB, right-click on it and select Concordance Search from the context menu; or
- click TWB, press F3, type the word or phrase into the text field in the Concordance Search dialog box and press Enter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to locate the translation of a particular word or phrase in the memory?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search