International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

How do I open a .tmw
Thread poster: Swaiyam

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:20
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2009

Hallo,

Sorry about the very basic questions, but I can't seem to find the answer either in previous postings or in the user's manual.

I've been sent a .tmw memory. Have tried importing it into a newly created Translation Memory but that seems to only work with .tmx files.

Have tried opening it before creating a TM but I get a message in red at the bottom of hte Workbench saying that the system couldn't find the following file: nameoffile.iix
(Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. [Pfad\Dateiname.iix]

Do I have to ask my customer to send a .tmx file or is there a way of opening the .tmw?

Would be grateful for any tips

Anu

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:20
Spanish
+ ...
One of five files Jul 28, 2009

A *.tmw is one of five files that make up a Trados TM; in order to open the TM, you need them all. When you have them all in the same location, you can just open the TM in Workbench by selecting the tmw file. The *.iix is one of those Trados TM files.

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What should I ask my customer to send me, then Jul 28, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

A *.tmw is one of five files that make up a Trados TM; in order to open the TM, you need them all.

Great, thanks for the super quick reply, Claudia.

Is it more usual to get a *.tmx or all of the five files that make up a TM from a customer?

Anu

[Edited at 2009-07-28 03:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-28 03:53 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
txt or tmx Jul 28, 2009

Hello,

until version 2007 a *.txt export file was the standard (out of practical reasons, the five files can be veeeery heavy, different Trados versions may not let you open the TM in TWB). I have been sent the five files making up a TM on very few occasions over the years.

I am a little bit surprised that your client hasn't sent you all files or all except the iix, even though it could happen if all files are attached separately instead of zipping the folder containing the TM. Silly question, perhaps, but have you tried unzipping (in case the files had received zipped files) again the attachment in a different folder?

If the iix is missing, either ask your client to send again all five files (at best zipping the folder containing the TM) or to export the TM (either in the txt or tmx format).

Giuliana

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:20
English to French
+ ...
TXT, then TMX, then the five-file bunch Jul 28, 2009

The standard is to send the text file (zipped, please--characters can otherwise get corrupted). If not, most people will send TMX files. I also very seldom get the five-file bunch--I get them maybe once every couple of years.

I think it is possible that your client selected the files in Windows Explorer with the mouse and then drag-and-dropped it into the e-mail he sent you. In that case, it is very likely that one of the files wasn't selected. It may be that simple--ask the client.

There is no way to open a TMW memory if you don't have all five files, so don't be afraid to ask the client for the missing one. They will not think you are out of your mind.

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
shall do Jul 28, 2009

If the iix is missing, either ask your client to send again all five files (at best zipping the folder containing the TM) or to export the TM (either in the txt or tmx format).

Giuliana

Well, I got the file to translate as a normal word one and the Translation memory later on when we realized that I do have Trados. I'll remember to ask for the zipped TM

Thanks

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Jul 28, 2009

They will not think you are out of your mind.

Exactly what I was afraid of

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I open a .tmw

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search