Can I have multiple 100% matches in a TM?
Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps

Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:26
Member (2010)
German to English
Jul 29, 2009

Hi everyone!

I'm using TRADOS 8.2.0.835 - SDL TRADOS 2007.

I was wondering if someone could help me... I have a customer for whom I have a large TM. In almost every single document they send to be translated the introduction is always the same. The customer has recently changed the way this set text should look in English and now wants one sentence in German which appears twice in the set text to be translated in two different ways in English. Is it possible to have multiple 100% matches in one TM? How does Trados react to this when using the "Translate to fuzzy" button?

Thanks for your help! =)

Dorothy

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You'll need to set up a new TM Jul 30, 2009

and select the "Allow multiple translations..." check box in the dialog box (in the middle). Now, import your old TM. When Trados finds the string while translating to fuzzy, it will most probably stop at that segment.

This is what context matching is best for, but it's not available in Freelance versions.icon_frown.gif

Radek Ptak
Local time: 08:26
English to Polish
multiple Jul 30, 2009

Assuming that your question is "Is it possible to have multiple translations in one TM?", the answer is Yes, it is possible.
When you create your new TM you have to set it up as Multiple Translations capable:

Then during translation you can use Add as New Translation function in TagEditor to add another translation for same source.

If you want to preserve multiple translations during batch TM update (cleanup) you have to select appropriate option in Workbench prior to the update:

Now, penalties... if you want Translate to Fuzzy... to stop when it spots multiple translation then you have to set up Multiple Translation Penalty to more than 0, otherwise it will not stop, it will just take more recent version from the TM.

I hope it does make senseicon_smile.gif

Radek

[Edited at 2009-07-30 12:53 GMT]

Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 3, 2009

Hi Adam! Hi Radek!

Thanks so much for your help!

I made an export of the old TM created a new one and imported the old one checking the boxes that Radek marked - thanks for the screen shots! Fantastic help!

Now my TM is up-to-date and the one sentance in German appears as two different sentences in English! Finally! =)

I'm super chuffed! Thanks again guys! =)

Dorothy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I have multiple 100% matches in a TM?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search