Unable to open the Workbench and TagEditor.
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:39
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 29, 2009

Hi,

I am facing a peculiar problem today. As and when, I click on the Workbench or TagEditor icons, I get the following message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I tried to open them by going to Start>All Programmes>SDL International>SDL Trados 2007 Freelance but I get the same messasge.

I have to finish a small but urgent job by using Trados but I can't open the TagEditor and Workbench.

My operating system is Win XP and I have Trados 2007, MS Office 2003.

I look forward to your help.

Regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
German to English
+ ...
Reboot and possibly system restore Jul 30, 2009

Stupid question, but did you already try rebooting the computer (I'm sure you did). This would be my first resort. If that doesn't solve the problem, you could try doing a System restore and restore the computer to a date before this problem started occurring. I suppose it's possible that some changes could have been made to your OS through an update or something similar, so it's worth a try.

Other than that, I hope someone more computer savvy has a better idea. I tried googling your problem and one solution was to start the computer in Safe Mode, but you need to be able to open the programs in normal mode in order to work properly.

Good luck!

Sarah

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:39
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much. Jul 30, 2009

I am thankful to you for the guidance. Yes, System Restore has solved the problem. I restored the computer to a back date and the problem was fixed. I think it was perhaps due to a virus.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

Regards,

Chopra

Sarah Downing wrote:

Stupid question, but did you already try rebooting the computer (I'm sure you did). This would be my first resort. If that doesn't solve the problem, you could try doing a System restore and restore the computer to a date before this problem started occurring. I suppose it's possible that some changes could have been made to your OS through an update or something similar, so it's worth a try.

Other than that, I hope someone more computer savvy has a better idea. I tried googling your problem and one solution was to start the computer in Safe Mode, but you need to be able to open the programs in normal mode in order to work properly.

Good luck!

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open the Workbench and TagEditor.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search