Is there a way to remove a forced line break from source in Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 14:02
English to Finnish
Jul 30, 2009

This is not a very frequent situation to me, but when it happens - and it happens once in a while - it is a show-stopper.
I'm translating a rather large project. In the middle, I encountered a "segment" that is divided into two (by a forced line break, I quess). The segments are:

VICTORY LANE VISIT FOR FOYT

and

A.J.

It would be nice if one could merge these kind of segments into one, but I guess it is impossible in at least Trados 2009 (and Tag Editor in previous version). In Word environment that was a snap.

In this particular case, it is not practical to remove the line break from source document (there are just too many merges and splits that I have done already).

Of course, I can leave the latter segment empty, but it is not a real solution in the long run.

If the software can present these kind of segments beneath each other, it shouldn't be too difficult to give the translator the function to merge them. Or am I missing something again?

Maybe this is discussed and solved in some previous thread, but I haven't found it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No way in Studio (and most probably in all other CAT tools) Jul 30, 2009

The only CAT I know which would help here was SDL Trados 2007 and Tageditor, where you simply could cut&paste in the TTX file, leaving the part of a segment after the break simply empty (to put it simply: I just edited the source in Tageditor).
Other CAT tools, Studio included, do presegment the file prior to translation, so there is no way to merge segments separated by a paragrah. AFAIK DejaVu could merge such segments too, but I never tried this tool.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:02
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Maybe AutoUnbreak can help Jul 30, 2009

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AutoUnbreak-Download-33895.html

I don't have Trados 2009 though, so I couldn't test it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to remove a forced line break from source in Trados 2009?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search