Is it possible to translate WF-Pro txml files in Trados?
Thread poster: Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:06
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 31, 2009

I have received some txml files for translation. Client says they use only Wordfast Pro and want their vendors to use the same. Since I do not expect much business from this client I do not want to buy the license for WF-Pro.

Does anybody know if there is a way to translate these files in any other CAT tool? specially in Trados or SDLX?

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:36
English to Polish
+ ...
In Swordfish you can Jul 31, 2009

Anil Goyal wrote:

I have received some txml files for translation. (...)

Does anybody know if there is a way to translate these files in any other CAT tool? specially in Trados or SDLX?

I'm afraid neither Trados nor SDLX support this format, but TXML is among the formats supported by another CAT tool, Swordfish from Maxprograms.

You can use all features of Swordfish for free for a month, so perhaps it can be a good short term solution, if you don't expect much work from this client.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not use Wf trial version? Jul 31, 2009

The only restriction is the size of the TM. You can use it forever like the trial version of Wf classic.
If the customer wants you to use Wf they can have good reasons.

Regards
Heinrich

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Re-export as TMX Jul 31, 2009

I haven't tried this, not having a TXML, but can't you import it into Wordfast Classic free version, and re-export as a TMX file, which Trados can use? I believe the only restriction with WF Free is actually translating with a TM over 500 TUs, you should still be able to do TM handling.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Edited Aug 1, 2009

Edited, can be removed.

[Edited at 2009-08-01 09:17 GMT]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Is it possible to translate WF-Pro txml files in Trados? Aug 1, 2009

The Toxic utility in conjunction with OmegaT (both free) can do this, but bear in mind that Toxic is only beta software and has not (yet) been thoroughly tested.

Re John F.'s comment: you may be able to use Wordfast Classic to obtain a TMX file from the TXML file, but can you "translate" a TMX file in Trados? If not, this is no help to you.

Marc

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Importing TMX into Trados Aug 1, 2009

Marc P wrote:

Re John F.'s comment: you may be able to use Wordfast Classic to obtain a TMX file from the TXML file, but can you "translate" a TMX file in Trados? If not, this is no help to you.

Marc

Taken from the Wordfast instructions: "Basically, Trados does not “Open” a TMX fle, but “Imports” it into an existing TM. You would first need to create a new TM (or open an existing one) and import the TMX fle into it."

I don't have Trados but I do have several Trados clients, and we exchange TMX TMs without any difficulty that I'm aware of.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Is it possible to translate WF-Pro txml files in Trados? Aug 1, 2009

John Fossey wrote:

Taken from the Wordfast instructions: "Basically, Trados does not “Open” a TMX fle, but “Imports” it into an existing TM. You would first need to create a new TM (or open an existing one) and import the TMX fle into it."

I don't have Trados but I do have several Trados clients, and we exchange TMX TMs without any difficulty that I'm aware of.

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question. TXML is an intermediate bilingual format that can be "translated" (i.e. the target segments translated), and the translation used by the originator, in Wordfast Pro, to create an output document in the target language.

TMX is a translation memory format. You can exchange translation memories in TMX format between different CAT tools, but you can't use them to create the final output document. Not automatically, at any rate. The TMX file has the same linguistic content as the TXML file, but the segments are non-linear; it may contain non-identical repetitions; and depending upon the segmentation rules used, the segmentation may not even be contiguous. The first makes translating impractical, the second and third make it impossible without manual correction by the final user.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to translate WF-Pro txml files in Trados?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »