Problems working with Trados 2007 outsourcers from Trados 2009
Thread poster: irishpolyglot

irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 09:42
French to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

I really like everything about Trados 2009, the new interface, layout etc.
But all of my outsourcers still use 2007! This has caused us problems and my most important outsourcers have stopped sending me work because of it!
I must be missing something obvious, but how can I be backwards compatible? The single file TM is of no use to them - I can't find anyway to produce the multiple files TM compatible with 2007. Is there a way?? They had reluctantly accepted the TMX from me at one stage, but no more.
Also, they have requested Uncleaned Files if possible, so that at least they could produce the TM themselves. I could not find out how to produce this file.
Anybody suggesting solutions to these problems, or workarounds would be saving my skin!!icon_smile.gif I'm very new to Trados. I had only used 2007 for a month before upgrading, and really wish I had waited now despite the improvements, unless of course I can find a way around these problems!
Thanks so muchicon_smile.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pre processing and post processing in Trados 2007 Aug 4, 2009

As simple as that:
Export SDLTM to TMX and import it into the customer TM in Trados 2007.
This way you can work stright in Studio and still deliver TMs.

But if your customer wants billingual files:
After receiving the files, open them in Tageditor, save as ttx, process TTX in Studio and produce both target file and billingual file there.

irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have 2007! That's the point... Aug 4, 2009

The whole point is that I don't have 2007, I just have 2009. I'd rather find a solution that didn't require me buying expensive older software just to convert files.
The client doesn't want the TMX, they want Trados 2007 files. As far as I know, I don't have studio in 2009, am I missing something? I always presume backwards compatibility is included when I purchase new software so this is a big surprise (in Word I can provide Word files back several versions...)
There has to be a solution that doesn't require me actually using Trados 2007!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
How comes? Aug 4, 2009

Hello,

my understanding is that each 2009 upgrader and new license is doted with a Suite 2007 version. Have you checked under "My licenses" in your SDL account?

Giuliana

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have SDL Trados 2007 Aug 4, 2009

Because all users of Studio have got a licence for that.
So simply install it and use it.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
studio 2009 comes with 2007 bundle Aug 4, 2009

As far as I know Studio 2009 always comes with an additional separate licence and separate download for 2007 because, as in your case, the only way of delivering bilingual files to someone who only has 2007 is in .ttx format.

Check the SDL "my account" section. have a look in downloads, and in licences. 2007 should be there. You definitely need it!

irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ah yes!! Aug 4, 2009

So I see!icon_smile.gif Many thanks for pointing this out. That's a huge load off my mind...
Appreciate the helpicon_smile.gif All the best!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
BTW, I wouldn't make my life that complicated, that is... Aug 4, 2009

Hi again,

I wouldn't translate in Studio and then do all the exporting importing stuff (= time consuming activity) if my clients haven't Studio. Actually, what I am doing is to use Suite 2007 if my clients still use it and use Studio if I am not asked to deliver any ttx/uncleaned file. Studio segments files differently and if I have to deliver an uncleaned file I might have to tinker with non-perfect matches (due to a different way of segmenting the file, especially PDF conversions) in MSWord, last thing I'd want to.

Giuliana

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:42
English to French
+ ...
Yep Aug 4, 2009

Giuliana wrote:
Actually, what I am doing is to use Suite 2007 if my clients still use it and use Studio if I am not asked to deliver any ttx/uncleaned file.

This is the most sensible approach to this problem. This is what I would do--if I were using Studio at all. I think it is premature to use Studio at the moment. I only fiddle with it once in a while to get to know it (it is so different from all SDL products I'm familiar with). I have so far zero client who has adopted Studio...

Giuliana's advice is my top pick in this thread.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm using Studio for nearly all projects Aug 4, 2009

Either the customer does not say anything at all - so the decision is easy, or they want TTX-files. As long these TTX-files are typical (and not XML converted by an old Trados version, what causes problems) I translate the TTX in Studio too. This wokrs fine, so for me it is not the question if, but just the question how and when. Of course some projects still require a full usage of Trados 2007 to deliver exactly what customer wants. Some projects even can't be processed in Studio - for example Transit filtered to Trados or projects requiring the usage of T-Window for clipboard. For the time being I would assume I can use Studio for approx. 50% of my work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems working with Trados 2007 outsourcers from Trados 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search