Problems with short concordance search terms in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: roonchan

roonchan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
Japanese to English
Aug 5, 2009

I've been having trouble with carrying out concordance searches on short terms in Trados Studio. I've searched all the help I can find, to no avail.

I translate from Japanese to English, and my OS is Vista.

With the old Translator's Workbench, I constantly used the concordance function for all kinds of terms, and do not remember having difficulties.

Now, however, I cannot generate a search result on a source term of less than 3 Japanese (2-bit) characters.

For example:

子育てに関する 「なんでも質問タイム」 もたっぷりお取りします。

If I highlight 質問 (2 characters) and press F3, I get the message "no matches found". 質問タ throws up two entries from my translation memory. Logically, it would seem that searching just for 質問 should result in those same two results, at the very least.

Other similar cases give no results for two characters, but work normally for three or more.

I'm getting quite frustrated by this, as a very large number of Japanese terms have only two characters; way more instances than, for example, two letter words in a European langage.

Does anyone have any ideas/fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
F3 just starts concordance Aug 5, 2009

so if you select those characters on the target side nothing will be found, as the concordance will be per default searched on target side of TM.
Other problem is, if you have possibly checked "allow character matching for concordance searches" when creating your TM. If you did, the search should work.
In other words, if you did not activate this option, the search setting is "match whole word", which is not true in your case. With character based search it would be a simple match, similar to Google.

And also please check the settings, maybe a lower setting for concordance match value will help.

roonchan  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I am searching for whole words... Aug 6, 2009

Thanks very much for your reply! To specifically answer the points you made:-

1. I'm selecting consecutive characters on the source side, and my concordance search is set to look in the source side of my TM (the concordance search performs correctly if I select three or more consecutive characters, so I believe I am using it correctly).

2. The "allow character matching for concordance searches" box is not checked. However, I only ever search for consecutive characters forming whole words (it just happens that a lot of Japanese words only have two characters). In the example below, I was searching for 質問 (question), which is a whole word, and turned up "no matches found"; conversely, the search which worked, 質問タ is not actually a word on its own, more like 1.3 words (kind of like searching for "question t", rather than the full "question time" which would be 質問タイム.

3. My concordance search setting is reduced all the way to 30%, so shouldn't be an issue.

It just seems to be a matter of two characters being ignored, and the search function only kicking in if three or more characters are selected. Not much use, sadly, for Japanese...

Thanks again for your comments, and I hope the above answers your questions. Any more feedback/ideas would be gratefully received!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you for your precise answers Aug 6, 2009

Unfortunately, provided what you wrote here, I fail to see why concordance is not working as it should, because your settings are correct AFAIK.
The only slight difference might be in character based concordance search.
Please export your TM to TMX, then create a new TM BASED on your actual one (this way all language specific settings will be rertrieved) and import the TMX into it. While creating the TM please make sure "character based concordance search" is enabled.
However, this may cause big performance problems, if the TM is bigger (let's say 100,000 units or more). I did not test that myself, but was told this by Ziad Chama, who is a real expert in this terms.

Sorry, but I can't provide better information.

Shawn Morse  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Select the "Enable character-based concordance search" box Apr 20, 2011

I had the same problem--unable to perform concordance for less than three characters when using Trados 2009. The TM does in fact have to be set to "Enable character-based concordance search" in order to perform concordance for sets of two characters. In this case, concordance may also return segments where the same two characters appear separated within the same sentence.

To enable character-based concordance search for an existing TM, export the existing TM to a TMX file, create a new TM based on the existing TM and be sure to select the box "Enable character-based concordance search" on the New Translation Memory window.

miguelrene
Japanese to English
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Apr 17, 2013

Once again PROZ saves me time and money! Thank you so much for this posting. My project and my faith in Trados are both restored!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with short concordance search terms in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search