Thread poster: Ghislaine Giebels

Ghislaine Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 6, 2009

Hello,

I translated a document with helpfiles. First I read the the helpfiles in in Trados with WinAlign. The words are now in my TM. Then I started translating the document. I made some alterations in the text that was in my TM. When I finalized the document Trados sometimes did pick up my alterations and sometimes it did not. During translation I always used the buttons with an arrow to be sure Trados would put my alteration in its memory. Does anyone know what the problem is here? can ut be that there is a button somewhere in Trados where I can adjust the way Trados is finalizing my translation document? By the way, I work with Trados 2007.

Asking for your help,

Ghislaine Giebels from Vught, The Netherlands

Direct link Reply with quote

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yup. Aug 6, 2009

The same thing happened to me more times than I like to remember (with Trados 6.5).

Séverine Boisson  Identity Verified
English to French
Could the Changed translations setting in Workbench be the culprit? Aug 6, 2009

Hi Ghislaine,

I'm not sure this is the reason to your problem but, when you finalise/clean up the files, Workbench gives you several options under Tools>Cleanup. If you tick "update document" under "Changed translations", it will squash the translation in your document with what it finds in the TM.
If you edited your document at the review stage without opening and validating each segment with the TM (I've done that myself sometimes...), then the TM doesn't contain the latest changes, which will be a problem if it updates the document.
Also, I'm not sure what happens if you have several translations stored in the TM for the same segment. Which one does it apply?
"Don't update" seems to be the safest option.

Ghislaine Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Severine Aug 7, 2009

Thanks Severine,

I will try that next time I clean up my document. I hope it helps...

Ghislaine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados does not keep my latest changes when finalizing

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search