Thread poster: Ghislaine Giebels (X)

Ghislaine Giebels (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 6, 2009

Hello,

I translated a document with helpfiles. First I read the the helpfiles in in Trados with WinAlign. The words are now in my TM. Then I started translating the document. I made some alterations in the text that was in my TM. When I finalized the document Trados sometimes did pick up my alterations and sometimes it did not. During translation I always used the buttons with an arrow to be sure Trados would put my alteration in its memory. Does anyone know what the problem is here? can ut be that there is a button somewhere in Trados where I can adjust the way Trados is finalizing my translation document? By the way, I work with Trados 2007.

Asking for your help,

Ghislaine Giebels from Vught, The Netherlands

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yup. Aug 6, 2009

The same thing happened to me more times than I like to remember (with Trados 6.5).icon_biggrin.gif

Séverine Boisson  Identity Verified
English to French
Could the Changed translations setting in Workbench be the culprit? Aug 6, 2009

Hi Ghislaine,

I'm not sure this is the reason to your problem but, when you finalise/clean up the files, Workbench gives you several options under Tools>Cleanup. If you tick "update document" under "Changed translations", it will squash the translation in your document with what it finds in the TM.
If you edited your document at the review stage without opening and validating each segment with the TM (I've done that myself sometimes...), then the TM doesn't contain the latest changes, which will be a problem if it updates the document.
Also, I'm not sure what happens if you have several translations stored in the TM for the same segment. Which one does it apply?
"Don't update" seems to be the safest option.

Ghislaine Giebels (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Severine Aug 7, 2009

Thanks Severine,

I will try that next time I clean up my document. I hope it helps...

Ghislaine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados does not keep my latest changes when finalizing

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search