Translation retrieved from TM appears as gibberish!!
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 7, 2009

Hi,

The client sent a TM and a new document. When I open a segment, the translation retrieved appears as gibberish characters. What seems to be the problem? I am using Trados 7 and the same problem exists on another system with Trados 2007. I am concerned about this since I am being paid less for those fuzzy matches. Is this a simple encoding process? Any ideas?

TIA

Noha

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
gibberish? Aug 7, 2009

not so clear, can you show an example?

Claudio

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is a snapshot Aug 7, 2009

The translation appears like this

Ýí ÃÍÏ ÃßÈÑ ÇÓÊæÏíæåÇÊ ÇáÊáÝÇÒ¡ ãÊÍÝ ÇáÝä ÇáÍÏíË¡ ÌæáÉ Ýí ÇáÍí ÇáãÇáí¡ ÞÑíÉ ÛÑíäÊÔ¡ ÇáÃãã

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TM Languages? Aug 7, 2009

Are the TM languages correct for the job that you have to do?

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language pair is fine Aug 7, 2009

Yes, the language pair (English-Arabic) is correct and many segments retrieve the translation just fine. I am just getting concerned now since a good number of segments appear gibberish.

Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:41
Spanish to French
+ ...
encoding Aug 7, 2009

Encoding problems is the first thing that pops up in my mind... All the segments in the TM are probably saved with different encodings, which makes it difficult to solve, IMHO.
I would first show the customer as many examples as possible of this and agree with them to have the fuzzy segment paid fully since you'll have to retranslate entirely most of them.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
UTF-8 Aug 7, 2009

Your client might have an older Trados Version.

I would recomend you to open the EXPORTED translarion memory (a Text file, *.txt) and save it as UTF-8 (there is an option to do that when saving a txt file, I believe "Encoding").
Create a new, and empty, Translation memory and import into it the txt file saved wirh UTF-8 encoding.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2009-08-07 19:42 GMT]

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did not work Aug 7, 2009

Thanks, Clarisa. Your suggestion sounded promising. I tried it immediately, but unfortunately it still did not work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation retrieved from TM appears as gibberish!!

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search