Studio fails to save target in Excel
Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
Member
German to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2009

Hello, I wonder if anyone out there can help me on this one.

I've translated an 8000 word Excel file. I now come to save the target back in its original file. The save procss fails because the Excel file 'contains a function' and therefore the software is unable to rename one of the sheets. There is no English output in the file at all, it is all untranslated.

I have tried restarting, rebooting and I get the same error.

I have tried opening the untranslated file again. If I translate just a couple of segments, I can save the target file successfully, but if I retranslate the whole document and save, I get the same error.

I have als tried deleting the offending sheet, but I then get an error message about the next sheet.

If all else fails, can I export my TM and do the whole thing in Trados 2007?

Does anyone have any bright ideas, I'm a bit stuck and need to get this document out of the door?

Thanks in advance.
Mary


 

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:41
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Workarounds Aug 7, 2009

Here are some workarounds that I use from time to time when this happens. In fact it happens with Trados 2007 as well now and then:

- Create an empty excel file, copy the content into that, translate it and copy the translated content back

- Create a ttx from the excel file in Workbench (Trados 2007). Translate the ttx file in Studio and clean up the ttx file into the final excel file in Workbench. Sometimes you can actually save the target as the original file (i.e. excel) directly from Studio.

- With Word files having the same problem, it sometimes helps saving the file in an older format (i.e. saving docx as doc). This does not work with excel because Studio only supports the new xlsx format.

If you do not want to use the above options you can also export the TM in TMX format, import it in Workbench and translate there. Sometimes not all the segments give 100% matches because segmentation rules can vary between the platforms.

Most often I would say these problems are due to Trados code errors. I report such problems occasionally but right now I trust the SDL support people have sufficient support cases to work on in order to improve the code.

Hope this helps

Kim


 

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
Member
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 7, 2009

Thanks Kim, that's fantastic. I've tried the .ttx trick and it seems to be working. I would never have thought of that. You may just have saved my bacon, thanks again!

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio fails to save target in Excel

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search