Has anyone been ever successful with CDATA parsing?
Thread poster: motuzik
motuzik
Slovakia
Local time: 16:09
Aug 7, 2009

Hi all,

I have a couple hundreds xml files that contain CDATA strings. For those who feel the temptation, save the good old RTFM story. I have spent a lot of time using RegEx to edit and remove strings of xml code. I have spent much more time with trying to declare the CDATA elements within Trados plugins, unsuccessfully. Bound by the architecture of the xml files I have to find a way to parse them within Tageditor. I have tried out many different alternatives of declaring the CDATA tags within the Trados Snippet Plugin. None of them worked. The xml file gets processed with no visible results. I still get the same CDATA tag containing a big chunk of text and tags and other rubbish, all translatable...

So to make this short, has anyone been ever succesful at telling Trados: "Hey, buddy, this is a CDATA tag, see, now get in there and parse it!"?

thanks for any feedback

regards,

Matus

Direct link Reply with quote

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 22:09
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't know Aug 8, 2009

I usually use Alt+insert to copy the original texts with tags to the translation field and then replace the texts with translations.

motuzik wrote:

Hi all,

I have a couple hundreds xml files that contain CDATA strings. For those who feel the temptation, save the good old RTFM story. I have spent a lot of time using RegEx to edit and remove strings of xml code. I have spent much more time with trying to declare the CDATA elements within Trados plugins, unsuccessfully. Bound by the architecture of the xml files I have to find a way to parse them within Tageditor. I have tried out many different alternatives of declaring the CDATA tags within the Trados Snippet Plugin. None of them worked. The xml file gets processed with no visible results. I still get the same CDATA tag containing a big chunk of text and tags and other rubbish, all translatable...

So to make this short, has anyone been ever succesful at telling Trados: "Hey, buddy, this is a CDATA tag, see, now get in there and parse it!"?

thanks for any feedback

regards,

Matus

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Make the content of CDATA translatbale Aug 8, 2009

motuzik wrote:

Hi all,

Hi, Motuzik,

Yes, I have been successful. Basically I followed these stepps:

1) I created an INI file which made the content of the CDATA tag translatable (using the Tag Settings wizard).

2) I opened the XML file and the content of CDATA is translatable but HTML tags within the CDATA are not protected.

3) Then, with the XML file opened, I ran the CDATA plugin and then it marks the HTML tags as not translatable.

Now, at which step are you blocked?

I hope this helps.

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-08-08 09:36 GMT]

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
The third Aug 10, 2009

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply.

I got stuck at the third part. I cannot make the Snippet Markup plugin to identify tags within CDATA and mark them as untraslatable.

1. I declare RegEx strings within the plugin
2. I open the .xml and confirm the file to be processed by the plugin
3. What I get is the "Problem during the document restructuralisation." message.

The .xml is an export from our online Knowledgebase so I am sure about its integrity.

What could be wrong I do not know.

thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Matus

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
to be more precise Aug 10, 2009

I have declared only 2 RegEx strings so far, just to try the feature out. Here they are:

1. start element: ]*[^/]>
2. end element: ]*>

regards,

matus

[Edited at 2009-08-10 10:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-10 10:37 GMT]

motuzik
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
Hi all, Aug 12, 2009

is there really no one who encountered this problem? I am quite computer literate. Still none of my attempts seem to get me any further. Hasn't anyone dealt with this before successfully? I cannot think of anything else to try. I need inspiration

thanks for any thoughts...

Matus

Chris Phillips  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Regular Expressions for the Snippet Mark-up Plug-in Sep 22, 2009

motuzik wrote:

is there really no one who encountered this problem? I am quite computer literate. Still none of my attempts seem to get me any further. Hasn't anyone dealt with this before successfully? I cannot think of anything else to try. I need inspiration

thanks for any thoughts...

Matus

Hi Matus,

If you want to send me a file I can take a look for you. The Expression you are using is valid so I would need to see what else is causing the problem.

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone been ever successful with CDATA parsing?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search