heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:16
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2009

PowerPoint translation (Office 2007) in Trados TagEditor (8.2.0.835)

When I safe the target from within TagEditor (same when I clean it up properly), the special characters of German (Umlaut, ß) are displayed in a different font. I.e. the source uses Verdana for the main body, the special characters are displayed as Times New Roman, although Verdana can display those characters correctly (if I type them in or change the font of the existing characters into Verdana).

-
... See more
PowerPoint translation (Office 2007) in Trados TagEditor (8.2.0.835)

When I safe the target from within TagEditor (same when I clean it up properly), the special characters of German (Umlaut, ß) are displayed in a different font. I.e. the source uses Verdana for the main body, the special characters are displayed as Times New Roman, although Verdana can display those characters correctly (if I type them in or change the font of the existing characters into Verdana).

- Does anybody have any idea why that happens? I've never run into this kind of issue before.

Just in case, I edited all tags in the ttx file (replaced Verdana with Arial).

Same result: Verdana has changed everywhere into Arial, the special characters are still Times New Roman.

- Any suggestions how to fix this without having to change the font of each occurrence manually?

Thanks!

Addition:
I just re-translated the ppt file on another computer, Office 2000, Trados 7.5.
No problems.
I had create a new ttx file, though, because of the different filters used (most likely for Office 2007).

So the problem seems directly be related to the software constellation Office 2007/Trados 8.
But at least I don't have to change every instance manually.

[Edited at 2009-08-08 21:39 GMT]
Collapse

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Office2007/Trados 8 Aug 9, 2009

Hi Heilke!

I encountered the same problem 3 days ago. My problem was about those Unicode characters shown in every translation unit for translation. It was supposed to be shown in Arabic letters. After some trials I could conclude that my file was PPTX (a PPT file saved in office 2007) and it isn't compitable with Trados 8. The only soluation was to save this PPT in Office 2003 or earlier versions, then I had to open it again in tageditor and it worked well.

Hope this s
... See more
Hi Heilke!

I encountered the same problem 3 days ago. My problem was about those Unicode characters shown in every translation unit for translation. It was supposed to be shown in Arabic letters. After some trials I could conclude that my file was PPTX (a PPT file saved in office 2007) and it isn't compitable with Trados 8. The only soluation was to save this PPT in Office 2003 or earlier versions, then I had to open it again in tageditor and it worked well.

Hope this suggestion may end it!

Best

[Edited at 2009-08-09 02:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-09 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:16
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
This is a real pain Aug 9, 2009

I often have the same problem with Office 2003. Regular font replacement from the PowerPoint menu doesn't work. The only way that works (but not always) is as follows:

1. Save your target PPT file as HTML file(s) - not MHT, just HTML.
2. Open them in a text editor (e.g. Notepad, although it is very slow) and replace all instances of unwanted font names (say, Times New Roman, and especially Asian Unicode fonts if you don't use Asian languages) with e.g. Arial in all the HTML fi
... See more
I often have the same problem with Office 2003. Regular font replacement from the PowerPoint menu doesn't work. The only way that works (but not always) is as follows:

1. Save your target PPT file as HTML file(s) - not MHT, just HTML.
2. Open them in a text editor (e.g. Notepad, although it is very slow) and replace all instances of unwanted font names (say, Times New Roman, and especially Asian Unicode fonts if you don't use Asian languages) with e.g. Arial in all the HTML files.
3. Open the main HTML file in PowerPoint and save as PPT.

I have also found a method where you export the PPT file to MHT (one-file web page format), but those fonts kept reappearing.

HTH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font change in PowerPoint for special characters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »