Is it possible to open a .txt file in Trados 2007 Suite?
Thread poster: Chris Hodgson

Chris Hodgson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:22
German to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2009

Hello all

Firstly apologies for what I'm sure is a very obvious question. However, I have looked long and hard online without any success. I have just bought Trados 2009, and have been sent a TM file in .txt format by my client. I can't seem to open it within Trados Suite however (when opening the dialogue box for opening a TM, the .txt format doesn't seem to be an option) - could anybody help me out?

Thanks and apologies again if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm starting to pull my hair out!

Chris

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-09 18:55 GMT]

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
I don't believe you can Aug 10, 2009

However, you can save it as a Word document or an rtf file and then work in Trados. Once you have finished and cleaned the file, you can save the cleaned file as a txt file again.

Are you sure you need to translate the txt file? Usually memories are sent as a txt file that are imported into Trados.

Birgit Holst  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
TM Translation Memory Aug 10, 2009

You have recieved a txt file as a TM meaning that you have received a Translation Memory to use with a translation.

Open Translators Workbench - choose File - New and select source and target words
then
choose File - Import and import the txt file to your TM

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:22
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
2007 or 2009? Aug 10, 2009

Your title is about Trados 2007 Suite. You certainly can, just as in previous Trados versions. The body of your question, however, mentions Studio 2009. If 2009 is what you ask about, then the answer is in the Trados forum already. Someone asked the same 4 or 5 days ago. I couldn't find it, I hope you have better luck; it is there somewhere.

Here, this may solve your problem. I believe there are more posts on the same subject:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/137456-importing_txt_files_into_trados_studio_2009.html

[Edited at 2009-08-10 14:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to open a .txt file in Trados 2007 Suite?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search