Germany
Local time: 07:09
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2009

I'm using Trados 2007 Freelance

I've been sent a TM.

Say, the TM has Stundenplan->Timetable and for some reason I translate Stundenplan->Schedule
I want to be able to see both versions in the TM.

I've allowed for multiple translations by creating a new TM with the option and have checked "Allow multiple translations for identical source segments". And then imported the TM I was sent.

But for some reason the TM has been showing only my translation: Stundenplan->schedule

Other things I've done and not done to see what the problem could be:
-clicked "Add as New Translation [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[↑]" which should just add an additional translation unit with different target text to a translation memory that has multiple translations enabled.
-in the Tools tab ticked "Always add as new TU when target segments differ"
-in TM-options->General, I've chosen "merge" for both used and changed translation units
-To be truthful, I've not defined anything in the project and filter settings. But I can't see that that would make a difference.

But no matter what I've done over the last few days the TM doesn't show multiple matches. The first translation is getting overwritten and the TM shows me just the new translation.
Konkordanz is listing all the different translations of "Stundenplan" - why isn't the TM?

Would be grateful for any hints on what I am doing wrong. By the way, I've been posting a lot in the last few days asking for help with Trados. If there's a limit on "posting for help" do let me know...

Anu

p.s. My Trados "speaks" German. Is it possible to change the language (to English) post installation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Change Interface language Aug 10, 2009

To change the "language Trados speaks", open Workbench, go to View, and then User Interace Language.

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Aug 10, 2009

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

To change the "language Trados speaks", open Workbench, go to View, and then User Interace Language.

It was that easy .... Thank you so very much. I was afraid I'd have to deinstall etc etc etc
Anu

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Does your TM allow multiple translations? Aug 10, 2009

Hi Anu,
if your TM does not allow multiple translations, there's no way you can enter two different translations for a single source segment. To find out, go to File > Properties. Under the Item name "Allows Multiple Translations" you should see a value (Yes or No) in the "Value" field on the right.

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But that's just it... Aug 11, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Under the Item name "Allows Multiple Translations" you should see a value (Yes or No) in the "Value" field on the right.

See, that's what I can't understand. Ticking that box was the first thing I did after reading the user guide. The TM is still just showing my translation of the word and not the translation that was sent with the TM.

And I've also tried importing the TM after closing the TM, logging in as the client who sent the TM and logging in with my user id again...

Thanks for trying, though.
Anu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't I see multiple translations in my TM

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search