Thread poster: mpazolivares

mpazolivares
Mexico
Local time: 16:42
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 11, 2009

I am trying to convert PDF files to translate them in Trados 2009 and it keeps telling me that 1 or more files can´t be convert.... Help! It supposed to be the new feature!
Thanks a lot
María Paz

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:42
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
no Aug 11, 2009

PDF => OCR => intermediate formatting => Trados => final format check

mpazolivares
Mexico
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could you be more specific? Aug 11, 2009

Could you please explain what you mean? I tried to follow but it seems that I am not doing it properly. Thanks a lot
Regards

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can't use a PDF in Trados Aug 11, 2009

What Sergei was trying to tell you in a very succinct manner is that you cannot use Trados on PDF files. You can use optical recognition (OCR) to produce a text file, if the PDF is a graphic, but if it is not (which you can tell by trying to select a word or two), you can simply select the text (use CTRL-A and paste it into a Word document. If the document is long, it may be tedious, sometimes you have to go one page at a time, and then you will have to clean up the formatting (get rid of extra line breaks, for example), before using it in Trados. You will not be able to generate a PDF for the client.

BTW, the easier way is clearly to ask the client for a source file...

mpazolivares
Mexico
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oppss Aug 11, 2009

I thought that the new TRADOS 2009 feature was to convert PDF files...
Thanks a lot anyway!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:42
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the PDF Aug 11, 2009

Hi Maria,
Maria Paz Olivares wrote:

I thought that the new TRADOS 2009 feature was to convert PDF files...

That is indeed one of the new features. However - as with any PDF conversion - how well this works will depend on the PDF file: a scan of a hardcopy document will not work, whereas a PDF created from an editable file (such as Word) probably will.

If some pages of your document cannot be converted, this might be due to the document structure. In any case, it's best to try and obtain the source document.

HTH, Ralf

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't take no for an answer Aug 12, 2009

If the client tells you there is no other file than pdf: there must be. Nobody can create pdf from scratch, there is always a file-format where the text structure was created from, be it Word, dtp or Excel or whatever. These source-file can be translated easily by any TEnT-software like Trados, Transit, DV, SDLX, MemoQ, Accross etc.
Most translators use Abbyy Finereader for conversion of pdf. It works for all kind of pdfs, even scanned documents. But the conversion should be paid by the customer, so they save money by sending you the source-files.

Regards
Heinrich

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, but Aug 12, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
If the client tells you there is no other file than pdf: there must be. Nobody can create pdf from scratch, there is always a file-format where the text structure was created from, be it Word, dtp or Excel or whatever
einrich [/quote]

Hi Heinrich,
basically, you are absolutely correct. The problem is mostly with the clients. They are:
1. too reluctant to look for the editable source files and submit PDFs instead
2. afraid of losing confidential data by giving away the editable format, as I was told two or three times; what a nonsense, isn't it?!

So, I've arrived at the point where I apply a 100% surcharge for PDFs. This will either make the client look for the appropriate editable files eventually, or pay my valuable time I spend on formatting...

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
In certain situations the original document really is not available Aug 12, 2009

In the event that the letter which I have to translate is sent to me by lawyers, and it is a letter of the other party, they really cannot ask for the underlying Word document.

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Editable format Aug 12, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

In the event that the letter which I have to translate is sent to me by lawyers, and it is a letter of the other party, they really cannot ask for the underlying Word document.

Exactly, this is the type of documents I mostly get in the PDF format. Third-party letters, customs documents, third-party certificates for products, diplomas from universities, etc. The client doesn't have access to such texts in an editable format (if they even exist in such a format at all) either.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
copy editing is a good solution Aug 12, 2009

I agree, that sometimes the original is available only as a page scan. Copy editing is extra work. Even as one does OCR the original characters do not come out really, one has to do some guess work and after the copy editing it has to be approved by the client. This means that the translator has the domain expertise in the given language pair and knows to understand filling the gaps. File and original scans are really welcome, provided they are really legible. In today´s technology, there are some nice tools that enable direct processing of file scanned .pdfs, one does not have to buy expensive DTP packages. ( most of them java based - a direct hint) There are many websites and many products are being perpetually offered. The agency is equally free to download and prepare the file at their own expense.

We have sometimes situations where the scan is not even legible on the screen, then this represents extra work, having to read a hard copy and working. This is really bad on part of the client ( mostly agencies). When they do not know to prepare a workable file and there is hardly anything to earn on the project, there should be no time frame and etc.
Copy editing is a time consuming process and needs a cross-correction and validation.
Brandis

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Sure Aug 12, 2009

However, in my case this is rarely so. I was talking more about various brochures and user guides exported into PDF from InDesign, Word and Framemaker. In my case, these make up to 90% of all PDFs I receive.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:42
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
A serious sucker punch Aug 12, 2009

Sorry to say it Maria, but you fell for it. As did many other people that SDL was counting on to deceive.

It was crystal clear from the beginning that the PDF feature of Trados Studio 2009 would be limited to extremely simple cases of electronically generated PDFs and that everything else would basically be a nightmare. This was, in fact, pointed out many times before the release, but SDL was counting on the power of market message saturation to keep the public confused.

If you want to handle the full range of PDF variations, there is no way around a high-quality OCR program like Abbyy FineReader. Anything less will leave you hanging in a number of cases, and anyone who tells you otherwise is simply ignorant or lying (usually the former if they aren't selling something).

The bright side of all this is that you can make good money doing clean OCR conversions. You do this in a number of ways, including more efficient work, but also nice surcharges or hourly fees for the extra work. And many customers are pleased to get editable originals back.

mpazolivares
Mexico
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 12, 2009

Well, thank you verymuch for all the answers....icon_smile.gif

Elizabeth Kelly
Ireland
Local time: 22:42
English to German
+ ...
Join the club! Oct 6, 2009

Hi everyone!
I have to admit that I also fell for SDL's promise of the new feature in Studio 2009. I had been debating for a long time, what CAT tool to invest in and this was the single feature that convinced me to go with Trados.
I have since found out, how full of surprises (and not not pleasant ones!) Trados is icon_smile.gif

Yours, truelly annoyed
Elizabeth

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF and Trados

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search