VIRTUALELINGUA  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:53
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 15, 2009

Hello everybody,
Sorry do you know why I can not display correctly a file: I have Trados 7 and when I try to open the files they sent me on appear this wird code:

ADOS IndexFile ²¡Ôà @ ä ÿ
þ
€¿ €? € ð6 U ù y Z À à Ï% Ö$ ª$ À$ º$ & 0 Í < Ý ? P S Æ$ J) _ j ? Ð$ ? ?$ ž Å% à è 0F } ªG É -H ?) ÊI 2 N ? 2N O
ÄN ? ÔQ ? KR ? ?S ÈT U í 9U Ì$ hU ÇU l BV n# JV C# ?W -) Ú[ H) ?] ? Ä_ Êi Í ÿs ?
?y G { ? õ{ J" ?â H
ò A. æÆ ;- |e Õ µf ª* É? q œ? r ô? ? -Œ µ* Š? V) Š? ?, f? Õ @? å? Ñ F? N) ª? ? eÆ Z) eÆ û, Ê í Ï * ?Ð - ?Ñ ? ?Ø ?ß Î* Uæ R- œç Ë& ?è ? žè
1ì d Uð b y F ? ?
| 7 6 Ù û# ú" f$ - @& @ Õ* Å &4
V< * @ ? ?F Ð* 6H ?) @L ? õL p jP õ FV Æ
?e 9 Öi ^ Îj ?" ?l ? Šr ` Ö? ? Œ n TŽ ? œ ?' ƒª + 6? H ?à W ?æ ý >é ?" _ü ? ªü ? õ w ? Z œ? É ?? ? ýÇ Þ µË à Õß æ Uæ ê ?
ô V< v ÖI ü õL
" Öi é Æ? :+ ?? L- aŸ 1 ƒª 3 a? ; õ? C! yû H
F Þ~ z b" ÿ) pÅ ?% î4
ú% ÿ?
ó ] ?" ? ? Ý? ? È ž$ ßâ `+ ? ? ? ^ ŸM Æ Ý Ü# ?? Ï ?ü Ž ?7 . O? ? ü ? /Ï! {, ??#
ï$ À& î#% è+ ??& ù
ì& [ ?(
Ê* è ?Ù- 6 F@0 Ã) ?È0 v
p2 ? "?3 å 4 t
û4 ?) Ú
5 ?) Þp6 Í, Õè6 ÿ?7 ? ??7 l- ?68 S [A9 b ??9 $
??: C* ?; E# ÞY= L Ì= ? Ûh@
Ø!E m NE ? ?tE ñ O?E Ý ZLF Å?G UÜG Ð b7H ú ?H F) c?H º |?I ë

Do you know what's going on?
Thank you ever so much for your help...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-16 06:39 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:53
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Could you let us have some additional information, please? Aug 15, 2009

Could you please let us know the version number of your Trados software, as well as the type of document you are trying to open. What kind of extension does the document have?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How do you open the document? Aug 15, 2009

Do you open it in Word?
Please note: when you post to this forum, you see a clear request on information you are supposed to provide. Without even a rudimentary knowledge of what's going on on your PC no one here will be able to help you. We are neither wizzards nor do we have a crystal ball

Ireland
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL 2006 Aug 15, 2009

Dear Astrid,

the agency sent me this instructions:
I send the file (texts_magicmirror_for transaltion.xls).

I am currently usisng the sdl trados free lance 2006, sdl multiterm 7 and SDL international.

Thank you.

Serena

Ireland
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More information Aug 15, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Do you open it in Word?
Please note: when you post to this forum, you see a clear request on information you are supposed to provide. Without even a rudimentary knowledge of what's going on on your PC no one here will be able to help you. We are neither wizzards nor do we have a crystal ball

Sorry Jerzy,

te agency sent a mea compressed folder with some documents which I can not open using Word.

It appears like that:
eng_it.iix trados index file DE1F3984
eng_it.mdf trados index file OCF81381

When I try to open it I can only see a tsrange code.

I am currently using Trados SDL 2006.

Thank you,
Serena

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:53
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
These are not the files to be opened using Trados Aug 15, 2009

serafosca wrote:
It appears like that:
eng_it.iix trados index file DE1F3984
eng_it.mdf trados index file OCF81381
When I try to open it I can only see a tsrange code.

Actually, it is an RTFM sort of the problem here... Please, start with reading the manual.

Along with these files you are supposed to receive also .MTF, .MWF, and .TMW. All with the same name.
The latter, TMW, is the Translation Memory file. All other files are supplementary to it and are not opened directly by the user. Double-click the TMW file.
Translator's Workbench opens.
Then go to TagEditor or Word and start translating the text file.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You always have to decompress the files first Aug 15, 2009

onto your computer. If you work with a file from an archive, the changes you do will not be saved, if you just opened it within the archive itself instead of saving it somwhere on your HDD.
And indeed, you are supposed to open a TMW file in the Workbench and the xls sheet in Tageditor. Checking some tutorials and reading the File Format Reference Guide (comes along with your iinstallation) will really help.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:53
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
yes! Aug 15, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
onto your computer. If you work with a file from an archive, the changes you do will not be saved, if you just opened it within the archive itself instead of saving it somwhere on your HDD.

That's right, Jerzy! When you open from within a compressed file, all your files are temporarily stored in a temporary location that is deleted as soon as you close the compressed file or any application working with the extracted file(s).
Beware! Never use default paths! Be conscious!
KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ON A PC!
you are supposed to open a TMW file in the Workbench and the xls sheet in Tageditor. Checking some tutorials and reading the File Format Reference Guide (comes along with your iinstallation) will really help.

If you hit XLS file in TagEditor, it will prompt you to launch Workbench (with TM) anyway...

[Редактировалось 2009-08-15 22:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados does not display a file correctly

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search