SDL Trados 2009: Error while converting to Word
Thread poster: Arankowsky

Arankowsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 17, 2009

I already finished my translation but when I tried to save as target an error message telling me that it cannot be converted to Word appears. I tried to process again all the file but apparently the translation memory is not updated with the translations untis (3,647) so the only thing I can do is to repeat all the job again. Is there something I can do? The due date was this morning and I'm stil struggling with this problem.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:11
English to French
try to identify the cause of the problem Aug 18, 2009

I have faced the problem several times, when customers send me some files which various things that Trados does not like, mainly:
- hyperlinks
- page breaks right at the end of a line, without paragraph mark (new line) in-between
- hard-coded font or font size changes, etc.
For hyperlinks, I have found nothing else than to suppress them from the document, and recreate them after clean-up...
WordFast is much more robust on such Word files.
You may download a demo version, export your TM, import it in WordFast, and restart your translation in WordFast... However, it requires a little time to switch tools, I actually did it between two translations, not in the middle of a nightmare with Trados, and I had several.

There have been some discussions in the past months.
For instance http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/132629-free_tool_to_check_unclean_doc_rtf_files_for_technical_errors.html
You will find a few hints there about debugging this kind of problem.
Once you have found the part(s) causing the problem, you may suppress it/them and try to restart the translation with your TM.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Update the translation memory from the translated SDLXLIFF file first Aug 18, 2009

Then copy the original file kin another folder and open it again. Translate two or three sentences from it. Now try to save it as doc. If it works, the error is on your side - some tags must be missing. If not, the Word file itself is problematic.
I found the Studio filter for Word files to be much more sophisticated that everything that was there before by Trados. So the only times I had problems with saving as Word either the original file was damaged or Studio simply needed to be restarted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009: Error while converting to Word

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search