Upgrading hardware for Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2009

Hi all SDL Trados 2009 users

I bought a new desktop computer in spring last year and was very satisfied with it until I started using SDL Trados 2009. Working in this program, I feel like going at least five year back in time speedwise. For example: In a project with appr. 10000 words, a lot of functions that used to take only a few seconds in T2007, now prompt a coffee-break, e.g.:

Opening new projects
Marking all segments in a project
Merging/splitting segments
Almost all the batch tasks

Since I love the new functions in T2009, going back to T2007 is not an option. In order to increase my working efficiency (and save myself from caffeine poisoning), I have realized that I need to upgrade my system again. Currently it consists of the following components:

Mother board: Gigabyte GA35L-DS3L - 1066 Mhz
Processor: Intel Core II Duo 6750 2,66 GHz
RAM: 2 x 2048 DDR II / 800 MHz
Hard drive: 150 GB Raptor (10000 RPM)

My upgrade options are as follows (at least I cannot think of any other myself):

1. New processor, same mother board
2. New processor, new mother board and quicker RAM
3. More RAM (would it require changing to 64-bit operating system or could I utilize a RAM disk efficiently with T2009?)
4. Solid State Drive

Are any of you able to run SDL Trados 2009 at a satisfying speed? Could you tell me where the bottlenecks in my system are and recommend upgrades?

Thanks in advance!

(I inadvertently posted this twice as a moderators only topic, so I am trying again, posting it as a public topic)

[Edited at 2009-08-18 21:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 05:38
English to Portuguese
Your hardware is great... Aug 18, 2009

Hi Bjornar

As you could read in another thread, I tested Studio in a netbook with satisfactory results, EXCEPT for the functions you mentioned: mostly all batch tasks. It is a Studio thing, perhaps related to some processes that need optimization.

I guess your hardware is great, very similar to the one I had before upgrading, but if you really want to speed up things, I would suggest a configuration like the one I am using on my PC:

- upgraded my motherboard to an Asus P6T
- installed a CPU quad-core Intel i7 920
- installed 6GB SDRAM
- upgraded my Vista 64 to Windows Seven 64-bit

I upgraded because I really like to keep my system fast, but this is a personal thing: economically is not worth it. I spent some good money on that. Professionally speaking, I'd keep my old configuration, pretty similar to the one you are using now.

Best regards

Edric

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I think Vista might be the reason Aug 18, 2009

As with nearly exactly the same hardware I did not have big performance issues.
I have had an MSI P6 MoBo with Intel E6750 (exactly same as yours) and 4x1 GIG RAM, RAID0 matrix of two Raptors for OS and RAID0 matrix of two Caviar for data.
Everything was working smothly under Windows XP SP3.
Until a week ago, as this PC broke down.
Now I've bought an Acer Aspire X3810 - small size PC.
It has a QuadCore processor, one HDD and 8 GB RAM and is running with Vista 64. Even here Studio is working well.

But please be patient for SP1 for Studio. This will bring a real enhancement.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vista is the bottleneck? Aug 18, 2009

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Hi Bjornar

As you could read in another thread, I tested Studio in a netbook with satisfactory results, EXCEPT for the functions you mentioned: mostly all batch tasks. It is a Studio thing, perhaps related to some processes that need optimization.

Thanks for your inpput.

If it was just batch tasks, it would not be too bad, but the most annoying waiting is during merging/splitting of segments and opening projects (something which I have do at least once an hour due to the frequent crashes).

If I understand correctly, upgrading from Vista 64 to Windows 7 RE led to a perceptible performance increase? I didn't consider Vista as the scapegoat yet since T2007 was running lightening fast on the same Vista system.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not only Aug 18, 2009

I don't know which release of Studio do you use and if you already have installed the patches available.
One of those patches adresses issues with splitting and merging segments.
But OTOH I must admit, that I did not have big performance issues with Studio even without that patch, but on Windows XP SP3.
Now I'm using Vista 64 and Studio is working very well. However, this is a test release (courtesy of SDL for beta-testing for them).
This might be the biggest cuplrit.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 05:38
English to Portuguese
Do not upgrade anything until Studio SP1... Aug 19, 2009

Bjornar, following the experience of Jerzy, I would bet that the performance problem may have something with Studio original version: I forgot that I am using a "beta SP1" for testing purposes.

Don't upgrade your hardware, wait for Studio SP1, see if your system is not "software-bloated", reinstall Studio with SP1 from scratch and you'll see how exciting it is: right now, using a not perfected "beta SP1", I have had an almost 20% increase in my productivity with just the way it auto-suggests translations (depending on the richness of the translation memory you're using, of course) and handles the TMs.

By the way, if haven't done it yet, check if you had uninstalled everything MultiTerm 2007-related: Studio hates it...

Best regards

Edric

Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:38
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
frequent crashes Aug 20, 2009

Hi everyone

this was very interesting since I'm having a few little issues with Studio 2009 and exactly the same hardware as Bjørnar, except I only work on a laptop for various reasons and have just bought it + after a few compatibility issues with the new Vista installed, I changed back to XP. Glad to hear there's a patch solving a few issues with merging/splitting segments - I'll have a look asap.
However, now I'm interested, if I may ask, in the frequent crashes you (Bjørnar) were talking about - do you know the reasons for their happening? I'm having the same problem here and absolutely hate the waste of time.
As per a comparison with 2007 unfortunately, I can't really tell you, since I've upgraded everything at the same time, ie computer and trados version, so of course mine is faster than before anyway, because of the old systems I was running 2007 with before. So I have certainly had an improvement but I don't know if it should be even better - to tell you the truth I actually expected it to be!

Regards,

Mara

I was going to open a new thread but I then thought this might be a good place for asking another question I have. It's in relation to the preview function. I was really excited about it and would still love it if it worked, but I keep having problems with it as soon as I go back to change something in my translation or even opening it somethings. and the program shuts itsself down on it, quite often I must say. Also, I don't seem to be able to use the side-by-side preview mode. Please note that I also have Office 2007 - I thought some Studio 2009 functions didn't work on older versions of Office but here too as it looks like

Regards,

Mara

[Edited at 2009-08-20 13:35 GMT]

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off topic: Frequent crashes Aug 20, 2009

Mara Ballarini wrote:

However, now I'm interested, if I may ask, in the frequent crashes you (Bjørnar) were talking about - do you know the reasons for their happening? I'm having the same problem here and absolutely hate the waste of time.

Mara

[Edited at 2009-08-20 13:35 GMT]

A little off topic, since there are other treads discussing this. I cannot add anything except that it seems to be related to the format of the original file. Yesterday I was working with 10 MB ttx files and had a crash on average every 30 min. Today I am working on some nicely formatted html files and haven't had any problems for nearly 3 hours.

Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:38
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Aug 20, 2009

Thank you anyway for your input, Bjørnar.

I'll post another thread for my other issue.

My crashes and some other problems may also be related to the original files, although the reasons are still obscure to me

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably not related to speed of storage medium:( Aug 23, 2009

I am currently working on a 8 MB TTX file that it takes app. 40 sec to save. I have tried to create a RAM drive and move the project to it - but with no noticeable difference.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2009 and quad-core Aug 23, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Now I've bought an Acer Aspire X3810 - small size PC.
It has a QuadCore processor, one HDD and 8 GB RAM and is running with Vista 64. Even

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:
- installed a CPU quad-core Intel i7 920

Do you know whether Trados 2009 is able to utilize multiple cores effectively?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not sure Aug 23, 2009

But it looks like multiple core systems bring a boost in performance simply due to better multitasking suitability.
I have only a comparison with a dual core laptop and a single-core laptop which is 3 years old, so its performance is outdated now.
The quad-core desktop PC is fast, but not outrageous fast.
Nevertheless, working on >40 MB Word-files with over 25,000 words each and overloaded with graphics (even if they are well formatted) does not mean to be forced to wait ages for any operation here. However, using batch tasks on those files takes its time. The corresponding SDLXLIFF files are about 8 MB in size and saving them during work takes about 3-5 seconds, not more.
But a TTX file is a very different story - Studio is indeed slow with them.
Did you try to use legacy mode for ttx? This means treating tags as single entities and not tag-pairs? This might make the proces faster.
If you use the Studio-mode, with tags treated as pairs, every starting tag in a segment must have a closing tag there. So if the segment does NOT have the closing tag inside, an extra closing tag will be added here and of course an extra opening tag will be added to the next segment. If you switch this mode off, TTX tags will be left as they are.
Maybe trying this option could be a little helpful to you?

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No difference... Aug 23, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
But a TTX file is a very different story - Studio is indeed slow with them.
Did you try to use legacy mode for ttx? This means treating tags as single entities and not tag-pairs? This might make the proces faster.
If you use the Studio-mode, with tags treated as pairs, every starting tag in a segment must have a closing tag there. So if the segment does NOT have the closing tag inside, an extra closing tag will be added here and of course an extra opening tag will be added to the next segment. If you switch this mode off, TTX tags will be left as they are.
Maybe trying this option could be a little helpful to you?

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but it did not help in my case (still appr. 40 seconds saving time and 4 sec for splitting segments in legacy mode).

Unfortunately TTX is still a very popular format with my clients and will probably remain so for years to come.

Jerzy, do you think you could try to save my file and split a segment on your new system while measuring the time? I would be very interested in knowing the possible speed gains of upgrading.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please feel free to send me the file Aug 23, 2009

use my emal info at docu minus trans dot de

I'll try to do that when I have some spare time for playing.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Edited Aug 23, 2009

Edited to delete my reply after rereading. Sorry. I thought you did not have Vista when you upgraded to SDL 2009. If your Vista system worked just fine with 2007, I don't have any ideas at the moment...

[Edited at 2009-08-23 21:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading hardware for Trados 2009?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search