Trados can't open a bilingual word file
Thread poster: Patricia Soares

Patricia Soares  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2009

The client sent a file which each sentence has two occurrences enclosed in segment marks, the first occurrence being the source segment, the second one being the target segment: {0>source segmenttarget segment

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:15
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Well, yes, if you use Trados Suite 2007 Aug 19, 2009

Hello Patricia,

aehm... I presume you got a pre-translated file for further translation. Your client must have presumed you have another Trados version. Studio can't process bilingual files, they are not supported. You have to open the file in MSWord and use Trados Suite 2007. I hope you have installed it before installing Studio. If not, go to your SDL account and download and install Suite 2007.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-08-19 05:54 GMT]

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unclean files Aug 19, 2009

Thanks, Giuliana.

I guess I cannot have an unclean file either. My clients always ask for both target and bilingual files. I had Trados 2007 installed in my computer, but I have recently upgraded it. I really like Studio but I'm afraid I will have to return to T2007.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
T2007 and T2009 Aug 20, 2009

Hi Patricia,
just for info: you can have both versions installed side by side on one and the same machine.

Ioannis Chatzilaris  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:15
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Same problem Aug 24, 2009

Hi Patricia,

I received exactly the same request from my client and an extra word document with instructions. I tried to open the file in Trados 2007 but it is not working either. Did you managed finally to open the file, and if yes, how?

Thank you in advance.

Ioannis

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden text is the problem Aug 25, 2009

Hi, Ioannis

I've got to open it by eliminating hidden text. In Word, you should go to File, Prepare and ask to inspect document. A window wil be displayed with an option of hiding text. Save your document and try to open it at Trados again.

It worked. Hope it does with you.

Patrícia

LindsayW
German to English
Try asking your client to supply .ttx files instead? Aug 25, 2009

Hi, I too have a client who supplies me with "pretranslated" files and asks me to deliver an "uncleaned" translation.
I have only just installed Trados Suite 2009 and am really struggling with it.
The only solution I have found so far is to ask the client to pretranslate the file using TagEditor, rather than Word, and supply a bilingual .ttx
This can be opened in Trados Suite 2009.
However, I have been having problems saving my finished as a bilingual .ttx - the SDL support team are still working on this ...
I am shocked at the number of problems translators are having with this new version, and wish I had stuck to the old 2007 version, as I have wasted many hours of valuable time trying to get the new version installed.

Finland
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
hidden text required Aug 25, 2009

Hi again,

If I remove the hidden text that means that I will have to create a new file and not just replace the hidden text with the translation. The client's request is to work on the original text and just replace the hidden segments (for the moment the only possibility for doing that is by using exclusively Word). Probably there is no way to do that in 2009 edition, but is it possible at all with Trados? 2007 shows exactly the same not supporting message for this bilingual file. Never before had to deal with such problem and I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You lost me... Aug 25, 2009

Hello Ioannis,

The client's request is to work on the original text and just replace the hidden segments (for the moment the only possibility for doing that is by using exclusively Word).

err.. I don't understand. You say you have a bilingual file... so why overwriting the source? What you have is something like: tag < source > tag < target > tag in MSWord?

Sorry, I am missing something....

.....shows exactly the same not supporting message for this bilingual file. Never before had to deal with such problem and I'm a little bit confused.

Which format are we talking about? Bilingual, OK, but is it a *.doc.. anything you have to import using any special definitions into TagEditor (Suite 2007, no Studio) (*.ini) - ??

Thanks

Giuliana

Finland
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
.doc file Aug 25, 2009

Hello Giuliana,

I'm quite new with Trados 2009 and it gives me quite a trouble in the beggining, and now I have to work with 2007, so sorry for not being so specific. The problem is that I can't open a bilingual file in .doc format from Word 2003 neither in 2007 nor in 2009 Trados. I removed the hidden text, as Patricia adviced me, and it is working, but I loose the source text when previewing in the tag editor. I just think that the client will wait to get back a file with both source and target text. I'm doing something wrong, but what is it? Is there anywhere a complete manual for Trados 2007?

thanks

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
ooohhh, I see! No, that's the way it has to be Aug 25, 2009

Hello Ioannis,

there is nothing wrong with what you are doing and with Tradosicon_wink.gif

I mean:

- you work in TagEditor, save the file as bilingual (simply click on CTRL/STRG+S or from the File drop down menu on save as biligual....) You get a *.ttx file.

That is your bilingual file.

- in TagEditor, when you are done with translating, you save your file as target (File dropdown menu).

This will be your target only file. Make sure you change a bit the file name, for ex. adding the code of your target, so that the original file is not overwritten

When you preview files you see the translated file (if you click on Target preview). If you click on Bilingual preview you see both source and target.

This is if you use TagEditor in Suite 2007. Being a *.doc file you could have also translated directly in MSWord (not that I am suggesting it, as sometimes MSWord is more a source of troubles and delays than a real help). If clients ask for an uncleaned file they normally mean a bilingual file translated directly in MSWord + TWB (that's the format the internal QA prefers, so that editing is visible via Track Changes, but very often a waste of time and a hassle for translators, especially when *.doc files are heavily formatted or simply because the matches they have in their TMs come from MSWord files and not from *.ttx files (TagEditor segmentation might differ, so that the file analysis differs as to high/low fuzzy matches/100% matches)

If you use Studio, you don't get a bilingual file, only a target file (translation only). If you still want to work in Studio, you have to create the ttx in Suite 2007 TagEditor and then import it into Studio (wouldn't do that time-consuming step, what for?!), but I wouldn't reccommend that... an extra step = more work, more time for the same money;-)

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-08-25 16:51 GMT]

Finland
Local time: 03:16
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
thanks Aug 25, 2009

Thank you very much, Giuliana, for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. You've been very helpful.

Hopefully I'll find my way soon with Trados.

Ioannis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados can't open a bilingual word file

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search