Trados 2009: Number recognition problem
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 20, 2009

When translating from German to Norwegian, I want a number like "13.291" to be translated as "13.291" (no changes).

When using quickplace to insert numbers, "13.291" is inserted as "13.291", which is correct.

However, the automatic number substitution (e.g. when I open a new segment that consist of only a number) changes German "13.291" to "13291" in Norwegian.

I have tried to experiment with different TM language resources setting, to no avail. "13291" is not a correct number format according to any Norwegian punctuation rules - I wonder where Trados get this from?

My Windows Vista language settings are correct. I have installed the latest hotfixes for Trados 2009.


 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:03
Member
Spanish
+ ...
A known problem Aug 20, 2009

This is a known problem. The solution is to deactivate the auto-localization of numbers all together.

Link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/139394-can_auto_localization_be_disabled_in_studio.html


 

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not solution for me Aug 20, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

This is a known problem. The solution is to deactivate the auto-localization of numbers all together.

Link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/139394-can_auto_localization_be_disabled_in_studio.html


I know about this possibility, but I also really need the number recognition feature to be turned on in this project.


 

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another solution... Aug 27, 2009

...would be to get Trados 2009 to completely ignore segments consisting of numbers only, like T2007 bilingual Word does.

Is it possible to get T2009 to treat such segments as non-translatable? (I have checked under "File Types" in Project Settings", but cannot find any such option).


 

julienwp
France
Local time: 23:03
English to French
Locking segments Aug 27, 2009

Hi!

Use the Display Filter toolbar with this regular expression (on source text):
[0-9]

Then, you just have to lock the segments you want to ignore...

Hope this helpsicon_wink.gif


 

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sweet Aug 27, 2009

JulienP wrote:

Hi!

Use the Display Filter toolbar with this regular expression (on source text):
[0-9]

Then, you just have to lock the segments you want to ignore...

Hope this helpsicon_wink.gif


That was a really elegant solution! Of course this gives me all the segments containing a number, not only the segments consisting of numbers only. I will have to pick these segments manually.

But still a nice time-saver:)


 

Kai Zimmermann  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:03
Russian to German
+ ...
Nearly the same problem... Aug 27, 2009

When translating from English to German I want a number like "13,291" to be translated as "13.291". So I do need a certain change. Quickplace again does it correctly. But the automatic number substitution changes English "13,291" to "13291" in German. This is quite annoying when you translate large consolidated financial statements since even if I write "13.291" manually in German and use the autopropagate function, Trados will change it back to "13291" (and any other fields with correctly autopropagated numbers) at the next segment containing only a number.
Any idea for a solution how to get Trados 2009 to always make the correct change (i.e. "13,291" to "13.291")?


 

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly the same problem Aug 27, 2009

Kai Zimmermann wrote:

When translating from English to German I want a number like "13,291" to be translated as "13.291". So I do need a certain change. Quickplace again does it correctly. But the automatic number substitution changes English "13,291" to "13291" in German. This is quite annoying when you translate large consolidated financial statements since even if I write "13.291" manually in German and use the autopropagate function, Trados will change it back to "13291" (and any other fields with correctly autopropagated numbers) at the next segment containing only a number.
Any idea for a solution how to get Trados 2009 to always make the correct change (i.e. "13,291" to "13.291")?


Interesting to see that someone has exactly the same problem in a different language pair. Maybe an inherent error of Trados 2009?

I have been thinking about the following workaround for DOC files (but not tried it out in practise yet):

1. Analyse the DOC file in T2007, export unknown segments (here number-only segments are treated as non-translatable)
2. Translate the unknown segments in T2009
3. Export the memory from T2009 to tmx and import it to T2007
4. Run the DOC through the memory in Word / T2007 Workbench

I will try it next time I get a financial statement:)


 

julienwp
France
Local time: 23:03
English to French
Negating character classes... Aug 27, 2009

My mistake! Negating a character class should give better results...
This one might work better:
[^\d.]

All segments containing only numbers and dots will be hidden.

Regards.


 

Kai Zimmermann  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:03
Russian to German
+ ...
Good solution for Bjørnar ... Aug 27, 2009

... since he needs the figures to remain unchanged, but from English to German I need the thousands separator changed from a comma to a dot. Any idea how to get Trados to do this?

 

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
find/replace Aug 27, 2009

Kai Zimmermann wrote:

... since he needs the figures to remain unchanged, but from English to German I need the thousands separator changed from a comma to a dot. Any idea how to get Trados to do this?


I am interested in the solution as well since I have the same problems when translating from English (Norwegian and German has similar punctuation).

One solution for numbers-only segments (maybe not the most elegant):

1. Display all segments containing [a-z] (i.e. all segments containing text)
2. Lock these segments
3. Display all segments (no filter)
4. Find/replace (comma to a dot)
5. Remove the lock from all segments


 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:03
Member
Spanish
+ ...
Noted but... Aug 27, 2009

Thank you both Bjørnar and Kai, I bookmarked both work-arounds. Still, SDL needs to figure out a way to make the localization rules more customizable. Studio's auto-localization of numbers works is one of its most flawed features.

 

Kai Zimmermann  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:03
Russian to German
+ ...
Good workaround, Bjørnar Aug 27, 2009

This will help for the time being. Yet, I would rather see a real solution for this problem from SDL.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: Number recognition problem

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search