Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:18
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 20, 2009

Hello to whoever reads me.
I bought SDL Trados 2007 Freelance early last year, later upgraded to Suite, etc, and activated the licence (after a lot of sweat and tears!) on my laptop. BECAUSE I AM FAR FROM BEING AN EXPERT ON TRADOS, I may have done something wrong and MAY have used my 2 official activation codes without being aware of it.

Only last week I had the good sense of finally buying a PC desktop (a Mac, whose disk has been divided: Mac / Windows) and Windows has Vista
... See more
Hello to whoever reads me.
I bought SDL Trados 2007 Freelance early last year, later upgraded to Suite, etc, and activated the licence (after a lot of sweat and tears!) on my laptop. BECAUSE I AM FAR FROM BEING AN EXPERT ON TRADOS, I may have done something wrong and MAY have used my 2 official activation codes without being aware of it.

Only last week I had the good sense of finally buying a PC desktop (a Mac, whose disk has been divided: Mac / Windows) and Windows has Vista (the laptop has XP). Innocently (or stupidly) I download a Trados demo and happily like a 4-year-old I tried to insert my activation number..... Gave me error 50040 (fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded / surpassed usage allowance of 2 activations". This was when I found out that, when buying, we had the right of using the activation TWICE. Followed the instruction on "My Support" and checked on "licences used" as well as in "My account" - found out that ... how many codes have I left? 0... ZERO, NULL.

Actions made & fears:

1) Sent 5 emails to Trados support. How many answers did I get? NONE WHATSOEVER. Calling that support is laughable, to say the very least. All they want is our money because they have the monopoly.

2) According to what I have read, maybe I should return my licence, uninstall, re-install on my Toshiba Q2000 laptop. Then try to install it on the PC desktop. My fear is to make something wrong and simply loose my licence!!!

3) 2nd fear: since my laptop works with XP and Mac with Vista, even if I end up installing Trados in the latter, will it work well???

4) 3rd fear: if this is not compatible, if I cannot return the licence and re-have my 2 activations back - do I need to buy Trados again!? Even if taking advantage of the Prozian promotion now, it is almost 500 euros.

Thank u in advance to whoever comes to my rescue!

[Edited at 2009-08-20 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:18
English to Czech
+ ...
Licensing Aug 21, 2009

Hi Brigith,
your license entitles you to activate Trados on two different machines (such as e.g. a desktop and a laptop). The error message you are receiving suggests that you have been using Trados on two different machines already. Before you can activate Trados on a third machine, you have to return at least one license from any of the two machines where you have activated Trados.
To do so, launch the License Manager, click View Activated Licenses, then click on the respective Ful
... See more
Hi Brigith,
your license entitles you to activate Trados on two different machines (such as e.g. a desktop and a laptop). The error message you are receiving suggests that you have been using Trados on two different machines already. Before you can activate Trados on a third machine, you have to return at least one license from any of the two machines where you have activated Trados.
To do so, launch the License Manager, click View Activated Licenses, then click on the respective Fulfillment ID and click Return License. You must be connected to the Internet, of course.
Once your license is returned, you can activate the new copy of Trados on your new laptop.
Collapse

Brigith Guimarães
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
only installed in one (laptop) Aug 21, 2009

Thank you truly, Stanislav

As I said, I am far from being a MA in Trados, much less a Ph.D, so last time I uninstalled/re-installed, I did (surely) something wrong and cancelled somehow one of my activations or something alike. This because I have always been working in ONE computer, in this case my laptop. This is the first time I really need to have Trados installed in a PC, as well.

Last night I tried to return the license, as I have been reading. But I am unable to
... See more
Thank you truly, Stanislav

As I said, I am far from being a MA in Trados, much less a Ph.D, so last time I uninstalled/re-installed, I did (surely) something wrong and cancelled somehow one of my activations or something alike. This because I have always been working in ONE computer, in this case my laptop. This is the first time I really need to have Trados installed in a PC, as well.

Last night I tried to return the license, as I have been reading. But I am unable to click on the "permanent" (it does not allow me), consequently I cannot click on the "return license" button afterwards.... Apart from feeling hopelessly silly, I have no idea of what to do in such case.

Do you?
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, I do. :) Aug 21, 2009

The reason why you lost one of your licenses is that you had reinstalled Trados or even your OS without returning your Trados license first. Therefore, when you activated the license after reinstalling, you used your second license.

To return your license, in the License Manager click on the Fulfillment ID (number starting with FID) and then return your license.

Brigith Guimarães
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hummm! Aug 21, 2009

Ahhh, I see.... Fine, I'll try to do it as soon as I can afford the time, Stanislav.
I sincerely hope wish you a nice week-end and not bother you again.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Bother? Aug 22, 2009

I am glad to be of any help. That's why communities exist.

Have a nice weekend too.

Brigith Guimarães
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You won't believe it - it seems I did it... Aug 22, 2009

I was going to write you just to summarize, Stanislav
It was that tiny little bit of the the "fulfillment ID" that was missing. It took me a couple of hours, but now I have Trados in my PC and in my laptop and both working well.~Uffffffff, what a relief!

Thank you, sincerely. I know that questions like mine may seem kind of idiotic and that people read them, laugh aside and carry on. But when we are "fighting against the unknown", it is INDEED very rewarding for someone who kn
... See more
I was going to write you just to summarize, Stanislav
It was that tiny little bit of the the "fulfillment ID" that was missing. It took me a couple of hours, but now I have Trados in my PC and in my laptop and both working well.~Uffffffff, what a relief!

Thank you, sincerely. I know that questions like mine may seem kind of idiotic and that people read them, laugh aside and carry on. But when we are "fighting against the unknown", it is INDEED very rewarding for someone who knows best than us in the field to come and explain as if we were a 4-year-old...
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
... Aug 24, 2009

Hi Brigith, I'm glad you've managed to get Trados running eventually. And I'd like to assure you that nobody's laughing at anybody. I repeat: giving advice is the reason why professional communities exist.

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Flemish
+ ...
a variation on this theme Oct 26, 2009

let me start by saying that I am also a complete analphabet when it comes to computers...the only thing I ask them to do, is function properly....and that has been VERY difficult the last couple of days...

After having run into major TRADOS problems, things got even worse because my computer crashed. Someone who knows what he´s doing, helped me out by changing the HD, and reinstalling Windows XP again (the problems I was having, were all related to the fact that I had Vista)... he
... See more
let me start by saying that I am also a complete analphabet when it comes to computers...the only thing I ask them to do, is function properly....and that has been VERY difficult the last couple of days...

After having run into major TRADOS problems, things got even worse because my computer crashed. Someone who knows what he´s doing, helped me out by changing the HD, and reinstalling Windows XP again (the problems I was having, were all related to the fact that I had Vista)... he also kindly reinstalled all my documents (which, thank god for small favours, were backed up) as well as SDL TRADOS...for I have to deliver a HUUUUUGE job....

Upon trying to activate, I ran into problems that are almost identical to Brigith´s...

How can I "return" a license if I no longer have access to that machine, or if the machine simply doesn´t work anymore....or is this just a thing that I can do on the TRADOS website (which, by the way, is hopeless if you are stuck at the level of "computers for dummies")...

Could somebody please help me out with this?

Thank you in advance!

Stefan
Collapse

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Flemish
+ ...
FID? Oct 26, 2009

I cannot even seem to visualize this FID....I see my licenses, I have got none left...but I don´t see this FID...is this normal?

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Two possible solutions Oct 26, 2009

1. Take the hard drive and the network card, place them into a different computer, launch the License Manager and see if you can return the license.
2. Contact SDL and tell them about your problem. In my experience, they're quite generous in similar cases.

Lina Berova
Lina Berova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2014)
German to Russian
+ ...
Support Request - where? Oct 28, 2013

Dear colleagues,
i have quite similar problems with activation of my license for a legally purchased software. Does someone know where exactly or how to submit a support request or contact SDL without a support contract???
All the links i follow on their website bring me at the end to the same place.

Lina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite - Error 50040 activation code

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »